"THE RISE OF THE BIO-BASED ECONOMY"
Roundtable Debate: Tuesday, 29 May 2012, 9.00 – 14.00, Bibliothèque Solvay, Brussels.
What is the bioeconomy and how can it help the EU spur growth and create jobs?
This will be the subject of a round table organised by the Greening Europe Forum (GEF) led by Friends of Europe in co-operation with Novozymes on 29 May.
The debate will bring together a group of 30 high level speakers to discuss how the bioeconomy can address challenges such as resource scarcity, sustainable agriculture and climate change.
It will highlight the technological edge Europe has over others, look at what regions and countries are doing to promote the bioeconomy and at the role of policymakers in ensuring that Europe keeps the lead and translates its potential into reality.
The debate follows the adoption, in late February of the EC Bioeconomy Strategy and Action Plan entitled, “Innovating for Sustainable Growth: a Bioeconomy for Europe”.
The strategy was also the main subject of the Copenhagen conference “Bioeconomy in Action”, that took place in March under the aegis of the Danish presidency.
- David Baldock, Executive Director of the Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP)
- Xavier Beulin*, President of the Fédération Nationale des Syndicats d'Exploitants Agricoles (FNSEA)
- Roel Bol*, Managing Director for the Bio-based Economy Programme, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation, the Netherlands
- Luis Manuel Capoulas Santos MEP*, Member of the European Parliament Committee on Agriculture and Rural Development
- Michael Carus, Managing Director of the Nova-Institut, Germany
- Lena Ek*, Swedish Minister for the Environment
- Markus Holzer, Head of Unit, Bioenergy & Biomass, European Commission Directorate General for Agriculture and Rural Development
- Barbara Kudrycka*, Polish Minister of Science and Higher Education
- Judith Merkies MEP, Member of the European Parliament Committee on Industry, Research and Energy
- Steen Riisgaard, Chief Executive Officer, Novozymes
- Maive Rute, Diector of Biotechnologies, Agriculture and Food, European Commission Directorate General for Research and Innovation
- Stephan Singer, Director for Global Energy Policy, WWF European Policy Office
- Ole Sohn*, Danish Minister for Business and Growth
- Isabelle Spiegel, Director Strategy Group / Sustainability, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC)
- Antonio Tajani*, Vice-President and EU Commissioner for Enterprise & Industry
- Marcel Wubbolts, Chief Technology Officer, DSM, the Netherlands