- European Maritime Day (EMD) in Lisbon Portugal 16 & 17 May.
The focus of EMD 2019 will be on blue entrepreneurship, innovation and investment. EMD 2019 is going to provide an inspirational opening session, 8 breakout sessions organised by the European Commission and focusing on a number of strategic EU policy initiatives to support Europe's Sustainable Blue Economy, and 28 high-quality Thematic Workshops designed and organized by maritime stakeholders.
- A study report has just been published on 15 EU success stories in innovative bio-based products. For each of these success stories, the study analyses the journey from "idea to market" for an innovative bio-based product (and the company behind it) - with its many steps and challenges – and derives insight on the drivers of success for this journey.
- Find more here
- Reports to assess the environmental impacts of bio-based products compared with fossil-based counterparts. Seven LCA (life cycle assessment) case studies were carried out covering three major commercialised bio-based polymers. The summary of both methodology and closing remarks of the report is also available as a separate document.
- Read more here
- New report on Horizon 2020 R&I projects supporting the transition to a Circular Economy.
This new report provides an overview of over 250 projects financed in 2016-2018 by the Horizon 2020 programme that contribute to the different stages of a circular economy.
- Full publication
- Blueprint for bioeconomy, new technologies & innovation in agriculture call
A new call for proposals EAC/A03/2018 for Sector Skills Alliances is now open. The aim is to implement a new strategic approach ("Blueprint") to sectoral cooperation on skills.
- More information about the call
- 5th JPI HDHL Conference, 20 February 2019, Brussels, Belgium
JPI HDHL will organise a conference on "Diet as leverage point towards a healthy and sustainable food system" in Brussels. During this conference, a workshop - JPI HDHL, FIT4FOOD2030 will be organised, from 14.00-16.15.
- More about the conference
- Joint Programming Initiative (JPI) climate & JPI oceans joint transitional call on next generation climate science in Europe for oceans.
This call on next-generation climate science is expected to make available up to 6.6 million EUR by partner organisations from seven countries around Europe and is expected to open in February 2019.
- More info about the call
The call for tenders to recruit an Investment Manager ("IM") to set up and manage a Circular Bioeconomy Investment Platform has been launched by the EC and the EIB. The deadline for the receipt of tenders by the contracting authority is 26th of November 2018.
The EU funded MyNewGut project will hold its final conference in Brussels on 18 October.
The conference will outline the key achievements of the project on how the human gut microbiota and its genome (microbiome) influence obesity, behavioral- and lifestyle-related disorders and vice versa.
The Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC) has published three new Country Reports mapping the potential and identifying opportunities for expanding the bio-based industry in Poland, Portugal and Romania.
High level event at the European Parliament: Plastic Free Oceans. Science innovation for a healthy ocean - 10 April 2018
The event will be followed by Ocean Plastics Lab exhibition. EU founded projects will be also showcased and will highlight how science and innovation can achieve a healthy and a plastic free ocean.
Do you want to give your feedback to the roadmap on the update of the 2012 Bioeconomy Strategy?
During the Circular economy Stakeholder Conference on 20-21 February, a workshop on How to Ensure that the Bioeconomy Contributes to the Circular Economy has been organized to provide an opportunity for stakeholder organisations to express what they expect from the revised Bioeconomy Strategy to make the bioeconomy more circular.
On the occasion of the 9th Bioeconomy Stakeholders Panel meeting, the BioSTEP project is organising a conference on Effective stakeholder and public engagement in the bioeconomy on 22 February 2018 in Brussels.
Please register here.
- A new report has been published on "Food in cities: study on innovation for a sustainable and healthy production, delivery, and consumption of food in cities".
- 20-21 November - Registration for the European Bioeconomy Congress taking place in Łódź, is now open. For more info please visit here: www.bioeconomy.lodzkie.pl
- Call for expression of interest - Experts to EFSA's Scientific Panels and its Scientific Committee. The target group are scientists with expertise in food or feed safety, animal health or environmental risk assessment.
- Green Week. Workshop on Cities for Food Systems Innovation and Green Jobs. It will provide an opportunity to explore the role of cities in fostering food systems innovation and green jobs at the local level.
- "Bioeconomy development in EU regions" report published.
- SAVE THE DATE! - 16 October 2017, Brussels - One day stakeholder Conference: Harnessing Research and Innovation for FOOD 2030 - A Science Policy Dialogue. More information and registration will be available soon on this website.
13-15 March, in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - The H2020 project PROIntensAfrica www.intensafrica.org has organised the final seminar to present its results. During the 2 year of work the project partners have designed a research funding mechanism that would best meet the requirements for a Europe-Africa research partnership, and a research agenda.
- Two day symposium on Food Fraud Prevention and Effective Food Allergen Management. Participate and learn about new tools and ways to combat food fraud and improve food allergen management.
26-27 January 2017 in Bari, Italy.
- The consultation of the High Level Panel of Experts of the UN-Committee on World Food Security covers critical and emerging issues in the area of food security and nutrition to inform the work of the UN-Committee on World Food Security. We encourage you to participate until 2 December 2016! Questionnaire and related information.
- Attend the 15 November Circular Economy Webinar.
Seven Things you should know about Circular Economy and the Bioeconomy. Participation is free of charge. Register here.
- Bioeconomy Innovation magazine: Interested in bio-based products and start-ups in the bioeconomy?
Download free of charge the CommBeBiz Bioeconomy Innovation Magazine
- Biological alternatives to chemical pesticides developed by R&D projects - new article on Horizon Magazine
- FIGARO project presents a platform for optimal water use in agriculture.
Conference in Brussels on 19 September 2016.
Registration and programme
- Smart Farming for Europe - don't miss the final conference of the EU-PLF project in Brussels on 29 September.
- New call for tenders in the area of bio-based products and services.
Apply online until 30 September 2016.
- EU-funded projects TRADEIT and TRAFOON present the vision for the future development of SME food sector in Europe in a joint closing conference.
19-20 October, Brussels. More information and registration
- Join the 12 October FOODSECURE final conference, a policy and science forum on Europe’s role in eliminating global hunger and malnutrition.
The event is co-organised with "FOOD 2030: Research & Innovation for Tomorrow's Nutrition & Food Systems"
- Join the 21-22 September EU-India Science Technology and Innovation Cooperation Days.
This year’s edition focuses on bioeconomy, including marine and maritime research, to maximize future scientific and business collaboration in this field.
- Discover the "2014-2015 Blue growth and Sustainable Food security Projects – Societal Challenge 2" brochure
- Discover the "Ocean of Tomorrow projects (2010-2013) – What results so far for healthy and productive seas and oceans" brochure
- Discover the "Overview of FP7 (KBBE) and H2020 (Societal Challenge 2) projects related to the Algae Bio refineries sector" brochure.
- Join the debate on environmental, investment and policy opportunities of the Bioeconomy, as part of the Circular Economy. Register for “ Innovating towards resource efficiency, jobs and growth” , 21 June, Brussels.
- Help shaping the next 2018-20 Work Programme.
Till 28 August citizens and organisations are welcome to contribute to the EC public consultation on Societal Challenge 2 of the Horizon 2020 Work Programme 2018-2020.
- Blue Economy Business Awards 2016 showcase excellent practices from industry in the blue economy
Blue Economy Business and Science Forum, 12-13 September Hamburg
- Learn about the final results of the EU funded project CLYMBOL (Role of health-related claims and symbols in consumer behaviour)
Conference and workshop 15 June 2016, Brussels.
- Register for the 12 May information day about the Smart Specialisation Platform for Agri-Food, an EU initiative promoting innovation-driven investment in the domain of agri-food.
- Find the main conclusions of the Bioeconomy Investment Summit in the final report of the conference
- No More Food to Waste - Register for the FUSIONS project meeting on 19 May, Brussels
- Watch the documentary about the DexRov project on Marine Robotics funded by Horizon2020
- The future is bright, the future is the European bioeconomy?
Registration for the 14 April BioSTEP Stakeholder Workshop is now open!
- Blue careers in Europe and Blue Labs: innovative solutions for maritime challenges calls for proposals now open for application till 31 May
- Watch the documentary about the CoCoNet project on Marine Protected Areas and
BONUS - science for a better future of the Baltic Sea region.
- No More Food to Waste - 31 March, Brussels
Free registration to the FUSIONS European Platform Meeting
- Bioeconomy impact 2016 - Dublin 10 & 11 February
New conference challenges European bioeconomy researchers to demonstrate value, relevance and impact of their work.