Therapeutic & Preventive Impact of Nutritional Lipids on Neuronal and Cognitive Performance in Ageing, Alzheimer’s Disease and Vascular Dementia (Nutrition)
Project acronym: LipiDiDiet
Title of project: Therapeutic & Preventive Impact of Nutritional Lipids on Neuronal and Cognitive Performance in Ageing, Alzheimer’s Disease and Vascular Dementia
Research area: Nutrition
Impact of diet on aging
Contract No: 211696
Project coordinator Dr Tobias Hartmann, email@example.com
EU contribution: €5 899 843
Start date: August 2008
Duration: 72 months
The project is developing a nutrition (a form of food) which is more effective than the dietary supplements currently available to Alzheimer sufferers. To this end, the potential of lipid-based nutrition to prevent disease is being examined in a clinical trial. Lipids are a class of naturally occurring molecules that include, for example, fats, waxes and certain vitamins. The team will then decipher the molecular pathways that lead to neuro-degeneration/Alzheimer’s disease. The research is focusing on effectiveness and the identification of environmental and other epidemiological risk factors for dementia.
The project results will help make dietary advice and actual dietary products available to clinics, nursing homes and citizens.
The project addresses the Impact of Nutritional Lipids on Neuronal and Cognitive Performance in Ageing, Alzheimer’s disease and Vascular dementia. Earlier observations suggest that lipids alter the risk for dementia. Some omega-3 lipids in particular appear to lower the risk of Alzheimer’s. The major aim is to complement existing medical treatments of Alzheimer’s disease with nutrition, especially during the very early stages of the disease.
But LipiDiDiet does not stop at Alzheimer’s: dietary products that maintain and support normal cognitive function, such as memory, in healthy ageing in general and which help reduce cerebrovascular risks will also be developed. In addition to dietary products, the team will produce diet and lifestyle-based healthcare advice for the elderly.
The project is based on two elements: applied research documenting the value of nutritional support in persons at risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, and basic research generating more knowledge about the possible therapeutic and preventive effects of dietary lipids in model systems of Alzheimer’s disease and Vascular dementia.
The aim is to develop a lipid based diet that reduces the risk of Alzheimer's and related diseases and has a stabilising effect on cognitive performance in ageing. Furthermore, it will provide diet and lifestyle-based healthcare advice for the elderly.
Website of project:www.lipididiet.eu
Coordinator: Prof. Dr Tobias HARTMANN, firstname.lastname@example.org
Organisation: Saarland University (USAAR) Campus 66123 Saarbrücken, www.neuro-saarland.de
- University of Eastern Finland (UEF), Finland, www.uef.fi/aivi
- University of Szeged (USZEG), Hungary, www.mdche.u-szeged.hu
- Tel Aviv University (TAU), Ireland, www.tau.ac.il
- Stichting Katholieke Universiteit – Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre (RUNMC), the Netherlands, www.ru.nl/english
- University of Gothenburg (UGOT), Sweden, www.epinep.gu.se
- Danone Research (DANONE), the Netherlands, www.danone.com
- Karolinska Institutet (KI), Sweden, http://ki.se/ki/jsp/polopoly.jsp?l=en&d=7877
- Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic – Institute of Physiology (ASCR), Czech Republic, www.biomed.cas.cz/fgu/en/index.php?jistota=15022008135327
- VU University Medical Center (VUMC), the Netherlands, www.vumc.com/patientcare/
- University of Bonn (UKB), Germany, www3.uni-bonn.de
- European Research and Project Office GmbH (EUR), Germany, www.eurice.eu/
- University Hospital Aachen (UKAACHEN), Germany, www.ukaachen.de/content/folder/1019020
- University Hospital Heidelberg (UKL-HD), Germany, www.klinikum.uni-heidelberg.de
- Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen (EKUT), Germany, www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de
- Central Institute of Mental Health (CIMH), Germany, www.zi-mannheim.de
- University Hospital Regensburg (UKR), Germany, www.uni-regensburg.de/