Integrating technical development in the food industries (Food Processing)
Project Acronym: HIGHTECH EUROPE
Title of project: European network for integrating novel technologies for food processing
Research area: Food Processing
Contract No: FP7-222824
EU Contribution: 5,870,000 KEuro
Start date: May 2009
Duration: 56 Months
HighTech_Europe is the first European food processing Network of Excellence funded by the European Commission’s Seventh Framework Programme. The 22 project partners, drawn from science and industry in Europe and Australia, have committed themselves to achieve effective knowledge exchange about the most advanced technologies for foodstuffs and food markets.
The aim of the HighTech_Europe is to strengthen the competitiveness of the European food industry, and especially of SMEs. To achieve this, the project has met several objectives.
The Science Cube Approach was used, which combines the sources of innovation, such as nanotech or biotech; the principles of innovation, such as chemical or physical; and the selected process’ type of operation, such as packaging or processing in the food chain. This approach supports the rapid transfer of innovative technologies from the lab into companies – helping disseminate the benefits of food-chain technology innovations more quickly.
The project has also set up a Food Tech Innovation Portal to support the durable integration of European R&D in food processing – a step on the way to a European Food Processing Institute. The portal, launched in May 2013, acts as a knowledge platform to support and drive innovation in the sector, overcoming earlier obstacles in the technology transfer chain and building much closer linkages between universities, research institutes, industrial associations and industry.
In addition to a series of Innovation and Technology Transfer Workshops held across Europe, the project has also launched the European Food Processing Implementation Award, honouring successful innovations in food processing and the improvement of food quality along a knowledge transfer chain. The award serves as an incentive for cooperation between the research and food industries.
The HighTech_Europe project has laid the foundations for a sustainable network of research and development in food processing. Achieving more effective knowledge exchange in this field will boost competitiveness and a culture of innovation in the European food industry, especially within SMEs.
Visit the Food Tech Innovation Portal: www.foodtech-portal.eu
Website of project: http://www.hightecheurope.com/
Organisation: Deutsches Institut für Lebensmitteltechnik Deutschland, www.dil-ev.de
- TTZ – Verein zur Förderung des Technologietransfers an der Hochschule Bremerhaven, Germany, www.ttz-bremerhaven.de/
- KEKI – Központi Élelmiszer-Tudományi Kutatóintézet, Hungary, www.keki.hu
- UTCN – Universitatea Tehnica Cluj-Napoca, Romania, www.utcluj.ro
- IRTA – Institut de Recerca i Tecnologia Agroalimentaries, Spain, www.irta.es
- KUL – Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, www.kuleuven.be/kuleuven/
- ZENIT – Zenit Zentrum für Innovation und Technik, Germany, www.zenit.de
- CENTIV – Centiv GmbH, Germany, www.centiv.de
- NS - Nutrition Sciences NV, Belgium, www.vitamex.com
- TTC – Tritecc srl, Romania, www.tritecc.ro
- BZN – Biozoon GmbH, Germany, http://biozoon.de/
- CSIRO – Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Australia, www.csiro.au
- SIK – SIK-Institutet för Livsmedel och Bioteknik AB, Sweden, www.ski.se
- FRIP – Výzkumný Ustav Potravinářský Praha, Czech Republik, www.vupp.cz/czvupp/
- Q@LI-MEDITERRANEE – Systèmes Alimentaires et Qualité de Vie en Mediterranée, France, www.qualimediterranee.fr/
- AGRI – Association Agropolis, France, www.agropolis.fr/
- ARC - Asociatia Romana a Carnii, Romania, www.rma.ro
- TEIN - Technologie a Inovace, Czech Republik, http://transfertechnologii.eu/
- DLG - Deutsche Landwirtschafts-Gesellschaft e.V., Germany, www.dlg.org
- PTECH - Pervatech BV, the Netherlands, www.pervatech.nl
- INRA – Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France, www.inra.fr
- SDLO – Stichting Dienst Landbouwkundig Onderzoek, the Netherlands, www.wur.nl