Manufacturing and management infrastructure for the food industry (Food processing)
Project acronym: FoodManufuture
Title of project: Manufacturing and management infrastructure for the food industry
Research area: Food Processing
Contract No: 289327
EU contribution: €1 971 283
Start date: January 2012
Duration: 24 months
The FoodManufuture project has provided a basis for decision making for a European Manufacturing Research Infrastructure that can provide the food sector and the manufacturing technology sector the newest technological knowledge and support the adaptation to fit the specific requirements for food manufacturing. The overall objective of the project was to perform a Conceptual Design Study for manufacturing infrastructure that may boost competitiveness and innovativeness of the food manufacturing sector through cutting-edge research, dedicated and involving knowledge transfer, and motivating education.
The proposed infrastructure is a distributed, flexible, industry driven membership organization. It will from trans-disciplinary platforms within prioritized areas, such as robotics, sustainability, new business models, virtual augmented reality, pilot sized factories and / or other prioritized areas. It will build on existing research infrastructure elements as a basis to develop a new generation of combined facilities, resources and related services to provide new manufacturing solutions. It will facilitate the utilization and maximization of capacities, knowledge and know-how.
The project has involved stakeholders from industries, academia, public and private decision makers from the food sector and the production technologies sector in order to meet the needs of both sectors in a cross-disciplinary approach. Joining forces of the food sector and the manufacturing solutions sector, sharing aligning, combining and defining challenges and solutions was very efficient. Serving the basis for the final conceptual design study the intermediate objectives were:
- To identify cutting-edge visions for the sector,
- To identify the future needs for research infrastructures
- To review the available research infrastructures and to identify the gaps,
- to describe the concept of the most promising infrastructure.
In a bottom-up process the stakeholders have created cutting-edge visions for the sector regarding manufacturing technologies, food chain management, sustainability, business models, technology transfer and education. Available solutions for meeting the short term needs of the food processing industry and gaps in the necessary research infrastructures for meeting the long term research needs of the food processing and the manufacturing industries were identified. Available research infrastructures that may cover the needs were identified as well as the gaps in infrastructures that need to be filled. Access to subscribe to the HightechEurope database was established. Based on the identified solutions and gaps, models were elaborated and validated. The final Conceptual Design Report presents the most promising model for the new research infrastructure, technical and economic figures and proposes optional funding solution.
Website of project: www.foodmanufuture.eu/
Coordinator: Lisbeth Munksgaard, email@example.com
Organisation: Aalborg University, Denmark; www.en.aau.dk/
- Campden BRI Magyarorszag Nonprofit Korlatolt Felelossegu Tarsasag, Hungary, www.campden.hu
- INESC Porto Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores do Porto, Portugal, www.inescporto.pt
- SPES GEIE– Spread European Safety, Italy
- Nederlandse organisatie voor Toegepast Natuurwetenschappelijk Onderzoek – TNO, the Netherlands, www.tno.nl
- SIK – Institutet för Livsmedel och Bioteknik AB., Sweden, www.sik.se
- Deutsche Institut für Lebensmitteltechnik e. V. (DIL), Germany, www.dil-ev.de
- L'Agenzia nazionale per le nuove tecnologie, l'energia e lo sviluppo economico sostenibile (o ENEA), Italy, www.enea.it
- Teknologisk Institut, Denmark, www.teknologisk.dk
- Universiteit Gent, Belgium, www.ugent.be
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft zur Förderung der angewandten Forschung e.V., Germany, www.fraunhofer.de
- Consiglio nazionale delle ricerche, Italy, www.cnr.it
- CAMPDEN BRI, UK, www.campden.co.uk