Overview of the Greek Agricultural Research System
The Agricultural Research is at present conducted by three different ministries, a) the Ministry of Rural Development and Food, b) the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs and c) the Ministry of Development. There is a law under construction in order to create a national Research Council, which will supervise the Agricultural Research activities in Greece and it will be under a council supported by various ministries.
The Ministry of Rural Development and Food
has the responsibility for agricultural policy in Greece and research is being carried out by the National Agricultural Research Foundation (NAGREF) and the Benaki Phytopathological Institute (BPI) as well as with collaboration with the Universities. The Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs
is supervising the various agricultural oriented schools and departments. These institutions are conducting either independent or in collaboration, basic and applied research on national or international level. The Ministry of Development – General Secretariat for Research and Technology
(G.S.R.T.), which supervises research of many institutions.
The various bodies, which finance agricultural Research in Greece, are:
· The Ministry of Rural Development and Food is funding NAGREF (with 53 Research Institutes and Stations throughout Greece), for carrying out research in the fields of crop production, crop prοtection, animal production, forestry, food technology, fisheries, agricultural economics and protection of the rural environment, etc. and the Benaki Phytopathological Institute.
· The Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs is funding independent research decided by the specific laboratories not necessarily following the priorities of the Ministry of Rural Development and Food.
· The Ministry of Development is the main source of research funds for all research units, following the rules and priorities of the EU.
· The Ministry of Interior is funding research activities through the Prefectures aiming to solve specific local problems.
· Several other partially public organizations, foundations are also funding agricultural research in Greece, such as:
Public Power Corporation S.A
State Scholarships Foundation
Various private organizations and companies e.g. Hellenic Hunters Confederations
, Titan Cement Company
Aluminium de Grece
, Oil Companies, Development Companies etc.
Research is performed by Several Research Institutions, Universities, Technological Educational Institutes and other.
· The Ministry of Rural Development and Food is conducting research through the National Agricultural Research Foundation
(NAGREF) with 53 institutes to carry out research in different disciplines related to crop production, crop prοtection, animal production, fisheries, forestry, food technology, agricultural economics and protection of the rural environment, etc. as well as through the Benaki Phytopathological Institute
· Universities with Agricultural and Forestry Departments
1. Agricultural University of Athens
a. Department of Crop Science
b. Department of Animal Science
c. Department of Agricultural Biotechnology
d. Department of Rural Economics and Development
e. Department of Food Science and Technology
f. Department of Natural Resources Management and Agricultural Engineering
g. Department of Science
2. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
a. School of Agriculture
b. School of Forestry and Natural Environment
c. Faculty of veterinary medicine
3. University of Thessaly
a. School of Agriculture, Crop Production and Agricultural Environment
b. School of Agriculture, Animal Production and Marine Environment
4. Democritus University of Thrace
a. Faculty of Agricultural Development
b. Department of Forestry and Management of Environment and Natural Resources
5. Technical University of Crete
a. Department of Environmental Engineering
6. University of the Aegean
a. Department of Environment
b. Department of Marine Science
· Technological Educational Institutes (TEI) with agricultural and Forestry Departments
1. Technological Educational Institute of Athens
2. Technological Educational Institute of Epirus
3. Technological Educational Institute of Crete
4. Technological Educational Institute of Thessaloniki
5. Technological Educational Institute of Kalamata
6. Technological Educational Institute of Larissa
7. Technological Educational Institute of Messolonghi
8. Technological Educational Institute of Kavala
· The Ministry of Development research institutions active in Agricultural and Forestry Research:
1. National Centre for Scientific Research
''DEMOKRITOS'', Institute of Biology
2. The Centre for Research and Technology Hellas
, Institute of Agrobiotechnology.
3. Hellenic Center of Marine Research
, Institute of Aquaculture
4. Foundation for Research & Technology
– Hellas (www.forth.gr), Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
· Other institutions active in Agricultural Research:
1. Food Industrial Research and Technological Development Company
2. Aquaculture Center of Acheloos
3. Greek Biotope/Wetland Centre
(The Goulandris Natural History Museum)
4. Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania