The purpose of the EnRisk project is to develop agri-environmental assessments further by investigating the role of risk zone assessments as a means for policy implementation on sustainable land use, nature conservation and landscape management at the European level. It will use existing European data and indicator concepts in order to identify areas that appear as environmentally sensitive for certain impacts and processes related to agricultural land use. In addition, regional aspects in selected case studies will be analysed in order to make recommendations for future assessments and policy implementation
The overall project objectives are as follows:
1) to test the reliability of existing information at the European level for assessing sustainable agricultural land use in Europe on the basis of case studies (comparisons between European and regional/national data)
2) to undertake risk zone assessments for five key agri-environmental themes at the European level
3) to identify areas that are environmentally sensitive for certain impacts and processes related to agricultural use
4) to review the current scientific knowledge base and technical state-of-the art in managing agri-environmental data at the European level
5) to develop recommendations for future assessments and policy implementation
6) to strengthen the competitiveness of European agriculture on the world market by demonstrating high levels of sustainability and productivity.
Progress to Date
European risk maps have been produced for soil erosion, eutrophication, pesticide use, biodiversity and landscapes. After some further refinement and harmonisation of these maps, cause-effect relations will be analysed between the themes and between agricultural pressures. Use is made of agri-environmental indicators and European environmental databases. An EnRisk website was created, which provides more detail.
1) Methodological framework developed.
2) Agri-environmental indicators selected (based on previous work in ELISA project, EC and OECD).
3) European databases selected.
4) European risk maps and accompanying texts produced.
CAP AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT
Scientist responsible for the project
Mr BEN DELBAERE
Reitseplein 3 Box 90154
5000 LG Tilburg
Netherlands (The) - NL
Phone: +31 13 5944944
Fax: +31 13 5944945
||EUROPEAN CENTRE FOR NATURE CONSERVATION
||01 October 2001
||645 836 €
|Total EC contribution
||645 836 €
|Web address of the project
- BIOLOGISCHE BUNDESANSTALT FUER LAND-UND FORSTWIRTSCHAFT, Germany - DE
- CENTRO DE INVESTIGACIONES AMBIENTALES DE LA COMUNIDAD DE MADRID, Spain - ES