Protein and growth efficiency in salmonid selection
The overall goal is to establish a sufficient knowledge base for selection programmes
aimed at improving protein growth. Three major objectives are identified: to provide
reliable heritability estimates for protein growth, protein efficiency and meat quality; to
develop predictive tools to recognise high-quality genotypes of these traits with the help
of genetic correlations and growth curves for protein and lipid deposition; and to understand the biological correlates causing variation in these traits. Six work packages form a three-step work plan; rearing of fish according to a family-based genetic design; sampling and analysis of biological material (e.g. growth, feed intake, body composition, protein turnover, lipid deposition, muscle fibres); and genetic analyses and modelling on the basis of the biological assays. The results will be readily applicable to the improvement and re-evaluation of ongoing selection programmes.
The overall goal is to establish a sufficient knowledge base to facilitate new selection programmes aimed at improving protein growth. Three major objectives are identified:
1. to provide reliable heritability estimates for protein growth, protein efficiency and meat
2. to develop predictive tools to recognise the high-quality genotypes of these important
traits with the help of genetic correlations and growth curve models for protein growth
and lipid deposition
3. to understand the biological correlatives causing variation in these traits, genetic
correlations and growth curves.
1. The generation of families for the genetic set-up.
2. Provide a sufficient knowledge base of the heritabilities and genetic correlations of
protein growth and efficiency as well as meat quality.
3. Predictive tools to recognise high-quality genotypes for these traits.
FISHERIES AND AQUACULTURE
Scientist responsible for the project
Mr KARE TURTIAINEN
Pukinmıenaukio 4 Box 6
Austria - AT
||Finnish Game and Fisheries Research Institute
||01 November 2001
||2 564 334 €
|Total EC contribution
||1 507 559 €