The project addresses the safety and quality of food in the sheep production chain using genetics. The partners, with their expertise in milk and sheep, traits related to animal health and product quality, and genetics, will be brought together to share resources and results with the aim of creating a critical mass of researchers. The participation of breeding organisations means that the results will be applied immediately in the sheep sector.
Genetic maps of livestock based on molecular genetic markers provide new tools for the detection of QTL (quantitative trait loci). The detection of QTL, related to the quality and safety of the dairy and meat sheep products, needs to identify markers in co-segregation with the measured traits. To reach this goal, the following work packages are to be managed by the partners:
Work Package 1: to share resource populations of sheep available for these issues
Work Package 2: to share genotyping of the animals of the resource populations of sheep
Work Package 3: to measure traits related to quality and safety of food
Work Package 4: to study candidate genes related to measured traits
Work Package 5: to carry out analysis with the aim of detecting QTL or candidate genes.
Progress to Date
1) All the biological materials or samples from the resource populations have been provided.
2) Genotyping is in progress in all the resource populations.
3) The phenotypic measurements for all the traits to be measured are ongoing in all the resource populations.
4) The candidate gene approach is in progress for the conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) in milk.
5) Preliminary QTL detections have been done successfully for the populations involved in a genome scan.
The first results for QTL detection have been obtained for CLA in milk, mastitis resistance, and nematode parasite resistance, plus the results for production traits.
Scientist responsible for the project
Dr FRANCIS BARILLET
Chemin de Borde Rouge Box 27
France - FR
Phone: +33 5 61 28 53 78
Fax: +33 5 61 28 53 53
||Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique
||01 February 2001
||1 739 355 €
|Total EC contribution
||1 320 002 €