Cohesion Policy and the Europe 2020 strategy
The Europe 2020 strategy
Europe 2020 is the EU's strategy to promote smart, sustainable and inclusive growth.
The EU has set ambitious objectives to be reached by 2020 in five main areas:
- Employment - 75 % of the population aged 20-64 should be employed
- Innovation - 3% of the EU's GDP should be invested in Research & Development
- Climate change - The "20/20/20" climate/energy targets should be met (including an increase to 30% of emissions reduction if the conditions are right)
- Education - The share of early school leavers should be under 10% and at least 40% of 30-34 years old should have completed a tertiary or equivalent education
- Poverty - Reduction of poverty by aiming to lift at least 20 million people out of the risk of poverty or exclusion
Cohesion Policy provides the necessary investment framework and delivery system to deliver the Europe 2020 objectives.
Cohesion policy: investing in smart, sustainable and inclusive growth
The European Regional Development Fund, European Social Fund and Cohesion Fund together account for more than one third of the EU's overall budget.
The European Commission is working together with the Managing Authorities in EU countries and regions to ensure that these resources are invested effectively in order to support smart, sustainable and inclusive growth.
EU funding is helping to support:
- The development of new technologies
- Cutting edge research
- High-speed internet access
- Smart transport and energy infrastructure
- Energy efficiency and renewable energies
- Business development
- Skills and training
Involvement of Europe's regions in the Europe 2020 strategy
Achieving the Europe 2020 goals will require active involvement across all regions of the EU.
- A resource-efficient Europe
- Regional Policy for smart growth in Europe 2020
- Regional Policy contributing to sustainable growth in Europe
- Regional Policy contributing to sustainable growth in Europe 2020
- Europe 2020 strategy website
- Regional Policy contributing to smart growth in Europe 2020
- Fifth Report on Economic, Social and Territorial Cohesion
- Cohesion policy 2014-2020
- Impact of Cohesion Policy