Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA)
IPA Environmental Operational Programme in Croatia
The overall objective for the Environmental Operational Programme in Croatia (EPOP) is to invest in projects that will contribute the greatest impact with the limited resources available in the waste and water sub-sectors. This will help Croatia to meet its obligations for implementing the EU environmental acquis governing the treatment and disposal of waste, the supply of drinking water, collection, treatment and discharge of waste water. It will also develop the administrative and management capacity of the institutions implementing the EPOP. Consequently, the EPOP will improve access to and delivery of environmental services and facilities in the waste and water sub-sectors. It will also produce other indirect development benefits, such as raising the quality of life of residents, attracting new investment and creating new jobs.
1. Priorities and Measures
Priority 1: Development of Waste Management Infrastructure for Establishing an Integrated Waste Management System in Croatia. Under this priority, support is given for the establishment of integrated waste management systems by developing modern waste management facilities. This priority concentrates on the construction of waste management centers at county/regional level and the remediation of sites highly polluted by waste. The actions contribute to the protection of the environment and human health.
Priority 2: Protection of Croatia's Water Resources through Improved Water Supply and Waste Water Integrated Management Systems. This priority aims to develop modern water management systems in relation to both drinking and waste water and by doing so, to protect Croatia's water resources and comply with EU standards.
Priority 3: Technical Assistance. This priority aims to ensure a sound and efficient management and implementation of the programme by improving the administrative capacity of the institutions concerned and supporting implementation, monitoring, evaluation, control and communication activities, as well as to prepare projects for subsequent programmes.
2. Financial Table
|Priority||IPA Contribution||National co-financing||Total funding||Co-financing rate|
|(a)||(b)||(c) = (a) + (b)||(d) = (a)/(c)|
|Priority Axis 1 – Developing waste management infrastructure for establishing an integrated waste management system in Croatia||47.604.750||8.400.841||56.005.591||85 %|
|Priority Axis 2 – Protecting Croatia's water resources through improved water supply and integrated wastewater management systems||47.705.250||8.418.579||56.123.829||85 %|
|Priority Axis 3 - Technical Assistance||1.389.750||242.252||1.635.002||85 %|
|Total (2007-2011)||96.699.750||17.064.672||113.764.422||85 %|
3. Major Projects
- Water supply, sewerage and waste water treatment plant in Slavonski Brod.Construction of water supply and sewage networks including the construction of a 3rd level treatment plant in Slavonski Brod. It also includes the purchase of the necessary equipment and the supervision for the works contracts.
- County Waste Management Centre Kastijun .Establishment of a modern waste management centre including the construction of a landfill, a mechanical and biological treatment plant, the purchase of the necessary equipment, technical assistance and supervision of the works contracts. It aims at tackling in an efficient way the waste management infrastructure needs of the County of Istria.
- Regional Waste Management Centre Mariscina Establishment of a modern waste management centre including the construction of a landfill, a mechanical and biological treatment plant, the purchase of the necessary equipment, technical assistance and supervision of the works contracts. It aims at tackling in an efficient way the waste management infrastructure needs of the Primorsko – Goranska County.
- Water supply, sewerage improvements and construction of a 3rd level waste water treatment plant in the town of Knin.
- Construction of water supply networks and sewage pipelines and a 3rd level waste water treatment plant in the town of Sisak.
4. Contact & Links
Ministry of Environmental Protection, Physical Planning and Construction
Trg Republike Austrije 14
10 000 Zagreb
- Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency Fund (responsible for priority axis 1)
- Croatian Waters (responsible for priority axis 2)
- Central Finance and Contracting Agency (responsible for priority axis 3)