Photo competition winners collect their prizes from Commissioner Hahn
On 9th October, Commissioner for Regional Policy Johannes Hahn gave the 4 winners of the photo competition "Europe in my Region" their prizes. The four lucky people from Bulgaria, Romania and Poland who submitted the best pictures have each won €1000 of camera equipment and a trip for two to Brussels to collect their prizes during the "Open Days".
The photo competition was organized during July and August 2012 through the European Commission's Facebook page. Participants were invited to submit photos in two categories:
- "My project" (open to organisations that have benefited from EU regional funding)
- "Eyewitness" (open to anyone living in the EU who spots a project either in their region or when visiting another region)
The photos had to include evidence of EU regional funding (eg featuring a billboard, signpost, plaque etc… with the EU flag and information about the project).
The four winners are:
- Simeon Mitkov (Bulgaria)
- Cristina Dumitru Tabacaru (Romania)
- Boyan Ivanov (Bulgaria)
- Marek Babula (Poland)
The four winning photos were chosen by an independent jury:
- Dr Gillian Bristow (School of Planning and Geography, Cardiff University, UK)
- Jef Boes (Freelance photographer, Belgium)
- Olaf Kracht (Social media strategist and journalist, Germany)
The photo competition helped to raise awareness about the wide diversity of projects supported by EU regional policy that are making a difference to local communities across Europe. In total, there were over 500,000 visits to the Facebook application, over 600 eligible photos were submitted, and more than 7000 votes were cast.