Winners of the "Europe in My Region" photo competition
Four lucky people from Bulgaria, Romania and Poland have each won €1000 of camera equipment and a trip for two to Brussels.
They will come to the European Week of Regions and Cities ("Open Days") on 9 October to collect their prizes, which were awarded for photos they submitted in the framework of the "Europe in My Region" photo competition. The photo competition was organised during July and August 2012 through the European Commission's Facebook page. Participants were invited to submit photos in two categories:
- "My project" (open to organisations that have benefited from EU regional funding)
- "Eyewitness" (open to anyone living in the EU who spots a project either in their region or when visiting another region)
The photos had to include evidence of EU regional funding (eg featuring a billboard, signpost, plaque etc… with the EU flag and information about the project).
Commissioner Hahn will present the prizes on 9 October to the four winners:
- Simeon Mitkov (Bulgaria)
- Cristina Dumitru Tabacaru (Romania)
- Boyan Ivanov (Bulgaria)
- Marek Babula (Poland)
The four winning photos were chosen by an independent jury:
- Dr Gillian Bristow (School of Planning and Geography, Cardiff University, UK)
- Jef Boes (Freelance photographer, Belgium)
- Olaf Kra cht (Social media strategist and journalist, Germany)
The photo competition helped to raise awareness about the wide diversity of projects supported by EU regional policy that are making a difference to local communities across Europe. In total, there were over 500,000 visits to the Facebook application, over 600 eligible photos were submitted, and more than 7000 votes were cast.