Delivering europe 2020: three commissioners outline how they are meeting the targets
The European Union has EU set itself an agenda to achieve smart and sustainable growth for every EU citizen through its 'Europe2020 Strategy'. The Strategy, adopted in March 2010, saw EU leaders set themselves the key targets of;
- lowering unemployment rates across the EU;
- raising educational attainment;
- continuing to invest a set amount in research and development, and measuring results;
- abiding by our environmental commitments to reduce carbon emissions; and
- reducing poverty in all parts of the Union.
On Thursday 13 October, in the framework of OPEN DAYS – Europe Week of Regions and Cities 2011, the three European Commissioners tasked with the key policies to meet these targets will come together in Brussels.
Commissioner for Regional Policy, Johannes HAHN, Commissioner for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Maria DAMANAKI and Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs and Inclusion, László ANDOR will discuss, together with Loretta DORMAL-MARINO, Deputy Director-General for Agriculture and Rural Development, in a roundtable, questions & answers format, the progress of the Union in meeting the Strategy's goals, and particularly how their four respective policy areas are moving Europe in the right direction.
For more information see: www.opendays.europa.eu