Results of regional policy
EU regional policy is an investment policy improving:
- Job creation
- Economic growth
- Quality of life
Creating jobs and growth
Increasing income in the poorest regions:
Gross Domestic Product (GDP) per capita in the EU's least developed regions (the so-called convergence regions) grew from 60.5% of the EU27 average in 2007 to 62.7% in 2010.
Creating 400,000 additional jobs:
Monitoring data shows that an estimated 400,000 jobs were created from 2007 to mid-2012.
- SME's : 142,000 SMEs received direct investment aid
- Start-ups : 53,000 start-ups were supported
- 169,000 jobs were created in SMEs
Investing in research and innovation
- Research : 53,000 research projects supported
- Co-operation : 16,000 co-operation projects supported
- 16,000 new long term research jobs
Improving the environment
- Water supply systems modernized benefiting 2.6 million citizens
- Better life in Cities: 7,000 projects to improve sustainability and attractiveness of towns and cities
460 km of roads and 334 km of rail to help establishing an efficient trans-European transport network (TEN-T)
This page provides a snapshot of key achievements so far in the 2007-13 period (unless otherwise stated, data run to end 2011), and shows how EU Cohesion Policy is helping to weather the crisis and produce growth.
Further details can be found in the 2012-13 strategic report.