New waste water treatment system for Koropi

A major new waste water treatment system for the city of Koropi in Eastern Attika is set to build 98 km of sewers, as well as a pipeline to a new Waste Water Treatment Plant (WWTP) Koropi – Paiania. Some 55 000 local residents are expected to benefit from the upgrade.

Additional tools

Print  

The works involve constructing a wastewater collection network throughout the inner city of Koropi, comprising gravity pipes and inspection shafts. As well as building collecting ducts, two central interceptor sewers are being constructed: the first in the northern and western parts of the city, the second in southern Koropi. Three transport pipelines are also foreseen, one of which encircles the entire city.

The WWTP Loropi – Paiania, which is also being built as part of the project, is located southeast of Athens International Airport. The plant serves the purpose of treating primary, biological and tertiary wastewater as well as sludge. It also houses various components including pumping stations, four sedimentation tanks, bioreactors, sedimentation tanks, anaerobic digesters and UV disinfection facilities. Once treated at the WWTP, the sewage is due to be discharged to surface waters through a new, 6 213 m-long drain disposal pipe.

Second phase post-2015

This is just the first phase of the project, and it is expected to treat some 75 % of Koropi's sewage. A second, separate phase is due to commence after 2015 and will tackle the remaining 25 %.

The successful completion of this project means Greece is on course to meet the requirements of the Commission’s Directive 1991/271/EE concerning waste water treatment.

Total investment and EU funding

Total investment for the project “Collection, transportation and treatment of sewage in Koropi-Paiania” is EUR 88 024 627, of which the EU’s European Regional Development Fund is contributing EUR 74 820 933, from the Operational Programme “Attica region” for the 2007 to 2013 programming period. Work falls under the priority axis “Sustainable development and improving quality of life”.

Draft date

10/06/2015