Environment and resource efficiency
EU Cohesion Policy supports sustainable growth by promoting water and waste management, environmentally-friendly and innovative clean technologies, as well as measures targeted at the protection of air, biodiversity and nature.
The EU Structural and Investment Funds help to protect and preserve natural assets such as water, nature and biodiversity, clean air or raw materials. It includes investing in the needed infrastructures for wastewater treatment and waste management (such as recycling), but also measures to monitor the state of the environment or developing green infrastructure. In doing so the environment represents a source of economic growth and new job opportunities.
Cohesion Policy also contributes to eco-tourism by conserving, protecting, promoting and developing natural and cultural heritage. It is taking action to improve the urban environment, to revitalise cities, regenerate and decontaminate brownfield sites, reduce air pollution and promote noise-reduction measures. It supports the industrial transition towards a resource-efficient economy, promoting green growth, eco-innovation and environmental performance management in the public and private sectors.
Through these investments, the Funds play an important role in boosting the implementation of EU environmental policies in fields such as water management, waste management and biodiversity. They will also contribute to achieving the objectives of a circular economy, including through supporting innovation.
- Connecting Smart and Sustainable Growth through Smart Specialisation - A practical guide for ERDF Managing Authorities
- Guide to Multi-Benefit Cohesion Policy Investments in Nature and Green Infrastructure
- Thematic Guidance Fiche on Biodiversity, Green Infrastructure, Ecosystem Services and Natura 2000
- Thematic Guidance Fiche on Water Management
- Thematic Guidance Fiche on Waste Management
- Research and innovation
- Information and communication technologies
- SME competitiveness
- Low carbon economy