More European and Chinese cities agree to work together
Regional Policy Commissioner, Corina Creţu, met Mr HE Lifeng, Executive Vice-Chairman of the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) in Brussels on Tuesday 23 June. Mr He Lifeng was leading a Chinese Delegation to the annual High Level Dialogue with REGIO, an event which takes place in the framework of the Memorandum of Understanding signed between REGIO and NDRC in 2006.
Mr He's visit is supported by the European Parliament's "World Cities" preparatory action which is managed by REGIO. The delegation is spending one week in Europe including regional visits to the Flanders ERDF Programme and to Dublin, Ireland. Mr He also met Jan Olbrycht, MEP, a leading sponsor in the European Parliament of the "World Cities" action.
Commissioner Creţu underlined the importance of the EU-China relationship in regional policy cooperation which has yielded many tangible benefits in developing mutual understanding and promoting exchanges of experiences and good practices, while helping to generate opportunities for the private sector on both sides. Mr He Lifeng drew attention to future cooperation on regional policy which he placed in the context of the "New Normal" policy in China. New Normal foresees somewhat slower growth than over the past decade, with an emphasis on quality and added value in the economic structure and on the promotion of innovation through business start-ups and business transformation. Commissioner Creţu and Vice-chairman HE witnessed the signing of Memoranda of Understanding between five city pairings participating in the EU-China part of the World Cities project. The cities concerned have drawn up a list of key sectors where the development of joint projects is foreseen. The signatories to Memoranda were as follows:
- SUN Guanghui, Executive Party Secretary, Shantou City with Daniel Gonzalez Bootello, Director General, Andalucia Smart City
- XIE Ruiwu, Deputy Mayor, Chengdu Municipality with Michael Sands, Deputy Director for International Relations, Dublin City Council
- NI Zilin, Deputy Secretary General, Wuhan City Government with Amadeo Jensana, Director of Economic Programmes and Cooperation, Casa Asia
- LI Hongwei, Vice-Chairman, Administrative Committee of Guangzhou Development District (“GDD”) with Philip Edward Bailey Atkins, Leader, Staffordshire County Council
- An Limin, Vice General-Director, Tianjin Development and Reform Commission with Carlo Rossi, Director for Decentralised Cooperation, Regione Lazio