Sustainability and Resource Use Efficiency OP
The thematic Operational Programme "Sustainability and Efficiency in the Use of Resources" is a monofund programme (Cohesion Fund), covering the entire Portuguese territory and focuses on the scope of intervention of the Cohesion Fund linked to the environment. It concerns structural interventions around three priority axes, each covering one single thematic objective associated with the environment.
The programme aims to anticipate and adapt to the great global changes in the field of energy, climate change and more efficient use of resources along a dynamic perspective that links competitiveness to sustainability. It aims to contribute to the fulfilment of the Europe 2020 strategy, in particular regarding sustainable growth, namely by (i) responding to the transitional challenges to a low carbon economy, (ii) developing a more efficient use of resources and (iii) promoting greater resilience to climate risks and disasters.
The Programme will focus on three main priorities:
- Supporting the transition to a low carbon economy in all sectors;
- Adaptation to climate change and risk management and prevention;
- Environment Protection and promotion of resource efficiency.
Along these main priorities, investments will focus on promoting the production and distribution of energy from renewable sources, supporting energy efficiency, intelligent energy management and the renewable energy usage - in particular in public infrastructure. The development and deployment of intelligent distribution systems will be supported - promoting low-carbon strategies for all types of territories, especially urban areas, including the promotion of sustainable urban mobility.
Climate change adaptation will be a main focus, including approaches based on ecosystems, to address specific risks, ensuring disaster resilience and developing disaster management systems. Investments in the waste and water sectors will aim to meet EU requirements of soil protection and rehabilitation of biodiversity and promotion of ecological systems, including through the Natura 2000 network. Specific measures will be supported for greener infrastructure, to improve the urban environment, revitalise cities, decontaminate and reconvert brownfield sites.
- Preparation for reuse and recycling of at least 50% of urban waste, by increasing the additional capacity of waste recycling by 91,000 tons/year;
- Reduction of biodegradable municipal waste deposited in landfill to less than 35%;
- helping to increase capacity to generate energy from renewable sources by 56%;
- Increase the use of electric vehicles, with 800 extra electricity charging points for the mobility network;
- Increase the number of users connected to smart electricity grids by 1,200,000;
- Reduction of yearly greenhouse gas emissions by some 80.640 CO2 equivalent tons;
- Extend the protection of mainland coastal zones to half of the areas identified as being in critical situation of erosion;
- Double the number of forest fires extinguished within 24 hours
- Increase the population covered by water treatment systems by 2,470,000;
- Increase the population covered by improved water supply systems by 1,820,000.
- Cohesion Fund (CF): 2,252,742,164.00 €
- TA - Technical Assistance
- TO4 - Low-carbon economy
- TO5 - Climate change and risk prevention
- TO6 - Environment and resource efficiency
Total OP budget: 2,650,284,901.00 €
Total EU contribution: 2,252,742,164.00 €
CCI number: 2014PT16CFOP001
ESI Funds OPEN DATA
Achievements and FinancesSustainability and Resource Use Efficiency OP