National Operational Programme on Governance and Institutional Capacity
By helping the country to develop its administrative and institutional capacity, the operational programme will contribute to Italy’s overall objective of achieving smart, sustainable and inclusive growth.
The operational programme (OP) totals EUR 828 million and combines funding from the European Social Fund (ESF) and the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). These resources will be concentrated on four investment priorities.
Measures funded under this programme will include:
- A priority on the modernisation of Italy’s public administration so as to increase transparency, interoperability and access to public data. The support will also reduce regulatory burdens while, at the same time, seeking to improve the quality and efficiency of both the public administration and the judicial system. Investment in institutional capacity and more efficient public services, at national, regional and local levels, will focus on reforms, better regulation and good governance. Around 50 % of the available budget is earmarked for this area.
- Around 12 % of the OP allocation will go to developing information and communication technologies (ICT) to enhance online services and digital inclusion, complementing the actions undertaken under Priority 1. The funding will help develop ICT products and foster e-commerce, e-government, e-learning, e-health and other digital services to improve administrative procedures and their dissemination among citizens and business.
- Around one-third of the OP’s budget will be allocated mainly to reinforcing multi-level governance and in part to supporting ESF actions to strengthen institutional capacity and improving the efficiency of public administration. Other resources within this priority will strengthen institutional capacity and public services related to implementation of the ERDF primarily by supporting Plans for Administrative Reinforcement (PRA).
- An envelope for “technical assistance” will ensure the correct functioning of the OP as well as Italy's Partnership Agreement and measures to reinforce their planning, coordination and support mechanisms.
Modern and more efficient public administration services will strengthen Italy’s institutional capacity, help to develop its e-government services and interoperability, and support its implementation of the Digital Agenda. Investments in these sectors and services will contribute to the country’s aim of fostering smart, sustainable and inclusive growth.
- Regional Development Fund (ERDF): 255,130,534.00 €
- European Social Fund (ESF): 328,669,463.00 €
- TA - Technical Assistance
- TO11 - Better public administration
- TO2 - Information and communication technologies
Total OP budget: 827,699,996.00 €
Total EU contribution: 583,799,997.00 €
CCI number: 2014IT05M2OP002
ESI Funds OPEN DATA
Achievements and FinancesNational Operational Programme on Governance and Institutional Capacity