Operational Programme 'Economic Growth'
Programme co-funded with resources from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and the Cohesion Fund (CF) under the Convergence objective
The European Commission approved this major development programme for 2007-2013 on 30 July 2007. The programme involves Community support for the whole of Lithuania within the framework of the Convergence objective.
Total budget: around €3.88 billion.
Community assistance: €3.09 billion (approximately 45 % of total EU funding to be invested in Lithuania under Cohesion policy 2007-2013), ie 80% of the total budget.
1. Purpose of EU investment
To speed up economic growth in the long term so as to close the development gap between Lithuania and the EU average.
- Increase the share of high value added businesses
- boost productivity, particularly by creating favorable conditions for innovation and small and medium enterprises (SMEs)
- improve the efficiency of economic infrastructure.
2. Expected impact
- attract private investment worth €735.5 million
- build/rehabilitate 1165 kilometres of roads (of which 315 km Trans-European Networks-TEN)
- build/rehabilitate 220 kilometres of railroad (of which 170 km TEN)
- create 650 jobs in research
- create 15 new technology-based firms
- support 4300 enterprises by financial engineering measures
- increase broadband network penetration to 95 % of the population
The programme is structured according to the following priorities:
Research and development (R&D) for competitiveness and growth of the economy
- reinforce public and private R&D facilities
- boost efficiency of R&D in the public sector as well as its accessibility to business
- intensify R&D in the private sector
- improve the environment for R&D dissemination, promote cooperation between business and research in the field of R&D.
Increasing business productivity and improving environment for business
- Boost productivity
- Improve viability of businesses and promote entrepreneurship
- improve access to financing sources for SMEs
- adapt public territories for investment attraction purposes.
Information society for all
develop electronic solutions to increase efficiency of public sector institutions and to enforce e-business initiatives, and (b) establish an even, secure electronic networks infrastructure for the country.
Basic economic infrastructure
- provide technical feasibility and environmental preconditions for the integration of the Lithuanian electricity and gas markets into the single electricity and gas markets of the EU
- improve reliability and safety of energy supply
- implement engineering measures for traffic safety
- improve technical parameters of transport infrastructure of national and regional significance
- develop regional water transport infrastructure.
Development of trans-European transport networks
- develop land transport infrastructure links with other EU Member States and third countries and adapt Trans-European Transport network (TEN-T) to growing traffic intensity
- improve utilisation potential of Klaipeda Seaport
- develop infrastructure capacities of Lithuania's international airports
- improve safety standards to reduce accident rates and congestion in the TEN-T network.
- ensure effective functioning of management and control system of the programme
- improve awareness of potential beneficiaries, beneficiaries and partners on the assistance provided by the programme as well as the results of its implementation
- carry out evaluation activities.
Financial and Technical information
Operational Programme 'Economic Growth'
Intervention TypeOperational Programme
Number of decisionC/2007/3740
Final approval date30/07/2007
Breakdown of finances by priority axis
|Priority Axis||EU Investment||National Public Contribution||Total Public Contribution|
|Research and development for competitiveness and growth of the economy||534 187 373||94 268 360||628 455 733|
|Increasing business productivity and improving environment for business||605 529 144||106 858 084||712 387 228|
|Information society for all||240 086 875||42 368 272||282 455 147|
|Basic economic infrastructure||586 758 740||103 545 660||690 304 400|
|Development of trans-European transport networks||1 087 466 598||199 816 128||1 287 282 726|
|Technical assistance||44 824 795||0||44 824 795|
|Total||3 098 853 525||546 856 504||3 645 710 029|