Operational programme 'Loire Basin'
Programme under the Regional Competitiveness and Employment objective co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
On 28 September 2007, the European Commission approved a Multiregional Operational Programme for the Loire Basin in France for 2007-2013. The regions covered by this programme are as follows: the Centre (the lead region), Lower Normandy, the Loire Region, Poitou-Charentes, Burgundy, Auvergne, Limousin, the Rhône-Alpes Region and Languedoc-Roussillon.
This Operational Programme comes under the Regional Competitiveness and Employment objective and has a total budget of around 74 million euros. The financing provided by the European Union under the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) amounts to some 34 million euros, representing around 0.2% of Community aid to France as part of the cohesion policy for 2007-2013.
1. Purpose and aim of the programme
The strategic objective of the programme for the Loire Basin region is to improve the competitiveness of the region and its employment within the context of sustainable development.
The strategy of the operational programme is based in particular on:
- regional issues highlighted by identification and analysis of the region’s weaknesses and potential;
- the Community and national strategic framework establishing the principles for the allocation of Community funding.
- detailed description of the priorities indicate that the share of Community funding for the priorities of the Lisbon Strategy to 65.51% for the ERDF
2. Expected impact of the investment
The costs avoided in terms of damage and loss of business, thanks to the Community funding allocated to reducing the vulnerability of business activities to flooding, is estimated at 26 million euros.
The programme is intended to allow 25% of the municipalities in the Loire Basin (i.e. 575) exposed to the risk of flooding to be covered by an action plan for flood prevention. The plan is also to fund 140 scientific articles associated with the research work under way on the Loire. As part of the initiative to preserve migratory fish, the programme is set to allow the number of spawning salmon in runs (salmon migration) at Vichy (on the river Allier) to increase from 707 to 1 500.
The programme is centred on four priorities:
Priority 1: Boosting the competitiveness of the Loire region by reducing the vulnerability of business activities in the Basin to flooding [approx. 47.4% of total investment]
This priority aims to introduce an “'industrial” initiative to reduce the vulnerability of business activities to flooding and control flood risk through shared surveys and experimental action.
This is implemented in initiatives for:
- mobilisation and coordination;
- conducting diagnostics (identifying the factors determining the vulnerability of businesses, structures and areas of activity to flooding);
- voluntary adoption by these businesses, structures and areas of activity of effective and priority measures to reduce their vulnerability to flooding.
The following are also planned:
- global surveys of the risks and challenges of watersheds;
- agreed action plans for flood prevention;
- land use controls;
- experimental work etc.
Priority 2: Stimulating research and innovation in the Loire Basin by developing and disseminating global, fundamental and operational knowledge of the Basin [approx. 24.6% of total investment]
The primary aim of this priority is to:
- capitalise on and pool data on the Loire Basin by implementing and disseminating data and knowledge, developing a system and technological tools to facilitate the creation of collaborative projects for exchanging and exploiting knowledge and data useful to monitoring and evaluating initiatives;
- develop interaction between the scientific community and operators in the Loire region by implementing an integrated programme of research projects, developing scientific research and initiatives to enhance the value of research and scientific capital in the Loire Basin.
Priority 3: Supporting multiregional excellence initiatives that reconcile economic strengthening with preservation of the environment [approx. 24.8% of total investment]
The objective of this priority is to turn the natural, cultural, architectural heritage and landscape of the Loire Basin and its tributaries into a driving force for enhancing the attractiveness and competitiveness of the Loire territories.
The multiregional dimension and agreement between the various administrative bodies will make it possible to tackle the following challenges:
- environmental issues throughout the Basin, specifically through experimental initiatives to preserve the environment and coordinated and shared management of invasive vegetation;
- capitalising on the assets of the Loire Basin through multiannual action plans based around the main sites of interest, “gentle roaming” and the landscape;
- restoring the migrating fish stocks (large salmon population).
Priority 4: Technical assistance [approx. 3.2% of total investment]
Technical assistance provides cofinancing for management, monitoring, evaluation, coordination, information and communication activities.
Financial and Technical information
Operational programme 'Loire Basin'
Intervention TypeOperational Programme
Number of decisionC/2007/4549 + C(2011) 6604
Final approval date28/09/2007
Breakdown of finances by priority axis
|Priority Axis||EU Investment||National Public Contribution||Total Public Contribution|
|Boosting the competitiveness of the Loire Basin by reducing the vulnerability of business activities in the Basin to flooding||16 600 000||17 290 000||33 890 000|
|Stimulating research and innovation in the Loire Basin by developing and disseminating global, fundamental and operational knowledge of the Basin||9 150 000||8 550 000||17 700 000|
|Supporting multiregional excellence initiatives that reconcile economic strengthening with preservation of the environment||6 880 000||10 620 000||17 500 000|
|Technical assistance||1 179 546||1 179 547||2 359 093|
|Total||33 809 546||37 639 547||71 449 093|
FrancePays de la Loire
Managing authorityPréfecture de la région 'Centre' F- 45042 Orléans Cedex
Contact Europe pour le PO 'Centre' ` Sandrine , CLEMENT E-mail. : email@example.com
Contact pour OP 'Bassin de la Loire' ` Claire , DEVAUX-ROS E-mail. : firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel. : +33 2 38 81 40 00 Fax. : +33 2 38 53 32 48 Web : Préfecture de la région Centre