Operational Programme 'Martinique'
Programme under the 'Convergence' objective, co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
On 30 November 2007, the European Commission approved an operational programme for Martinique in France, covering the period 2007-2013 (Modified decison C(2010)9259 from 20/12/2010).This operational programme comes under the "Convergence" objective; its total budget is around €1 billion. The aid provided by the European Union through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) amounts to almost €417 million, which represents about 2.9% of Community contributions to France under the cohesion policy 2007-2013.
1. Purpose and aim of the programme
The operational programme's strategy, in keeping with the Community Strategic Guidelines and the National Strategic Framework, has the following aims:
- to strengthen the specialisation of the sectors that have already developed expertise and to identify the emerging sectors;
- to continue to reduce the region's isolation in geographical terms and as regards digital technology;
- to ensure sound environmental management and preservation of natural assets;
- to improve access to training and employment in order to stimulate economic growth, and to increase access to sporting activities and health care.
2. Expected impact of the investments
The most significant targets that should be achieved with Community financial assistance include:
- filing of 70 patents;
- recruitment of 39 researchers in the public and private sectors;
- between 140 and 175 business start-ups;
- conclusion of cooperation agreements (estimated number: 21 to 24) between research institutes and enterprises;
- generation of 70 new processes or products;
- increase in the proportion of enterprises with an average lifespan of three years from 64 to 67%;
- improvement of the urban transport network and its extension to 274 000 persons;
- extension of on-line declaration to 30 public establishments;
- extension of the high-speed network to 311 schools;
- increase of 2% a year in the number of overnight stays in hotels, from 1 100 000 to 1 268 000;
- increase in drinking water supply capacity from 137 000 to 147 000 cubic metres;
- estimated reduction of CO2 emissions by 340 000 tonnes.
Implementation of the Martinique regional development programme is based on seven areas, namely:
- economic development, innovation, research;
- accessibility of the region;
- exploitation of local potential;
- environmental management;
- sustained effort as regards education and health facilities so as to ensure social cohesion;
- compensating for the extra costs arising from the island's remoteness and other structural disadvantages;
- technical assistance.
Financial and Technical information
Operational Programme 'Martinique'
Intervention TypeOperational Programme
Number of decisionC/2007/6078 + C(2010)9259
Final approval date30/11/2007
Breakdown of finances by priority axis
|Priority Axis||EU Investment||National Public Contribution||Total Public Contribution|
|Economic development, innovation and research||58 000 000||34 730 000||92 730 000|
|Accessibility of the region||91 200 000||153 940 000||245 140 000|
|Exploitation of local potential||75 500 000||79 000 000||154 500 000|
|Environmental management||57 500 000||102 000 000||159 500 000|
|Sustained effort as regards education and health facilities so as to ensure social cohesion||16 300 000||39 952 000||56 252 000|
|Compensating for the extra costs arising from the island's remoteness and other structural disadvantages||107 268 264||94 400 000||201 668 264|
|Technical assistance||11 387 569||2 936 000||14 323 569|
|Total||417 155 833||506 958 000||924 113 833|