Operational Programme 'Environment'
Programme funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and the Cohesion Fund (CF) under the Convergence objective
On 20 December 2007 The European Commission approved the "Environment" Operational Programme (OP) in the Czech Republic for the period 2007-2013. This programme involves Community support for the whole national territory within the framework of the "Convergence" objective. The total budget of the programme is around € 5.78 billion and the Community investment through the ERDF and CF amounts to € 4.9 billion.
1. The purpose and aim of the EU investment:
The objective of the “Environment” Operational Programmes is to support sustainable development, long-term competitiveness and employment in the Czech regions. It is one of the most important programming documents and aims to achieve the following objectives:
- The reduction of priority environmental pressures,
- The preservation of good environmental quality in fields which are not under strong pressure and the maintenance of positive trends,
- The compliance of the Czech Republic with the environmental "acquis" (EU legislation)
Furthermore, the programme will contribute to meet the commitments of the Czech Republic arising from the Treaty of Accession by resolving persistent problems in the sector of the environment. It will thus significantly contribute to meeting the objectives of the Lisbon agenda, particularly as regards the sustainable use of natural resources.
2. The expected impact of the investment
- reduction of ground-level concentrations of pollutants
- reduction of atmospheric emissions,
- improvement of surface and ground water quality through the construction of waste water treatment plants, replacement of technologies, improvements in agricultural techniques,
- waste management including packaging waste management,
- improving retention capacity of the landscape,
- reducing soil erosion.
The overall Strategy of the programme will be achieved through the following eight priorities:
Priority 1 - Improvement of water management and reduction of flood risks
– focused on reducing water pollution, improving drinking water quality and reducing flood risks.
Priority 2 - Improvement of air quality and reduction of emissions
– focused on improving air quality, energy savings and reducing emissions.
Priority 3- Sustainable use of energy sources
– focused on constructing new facilities and reconstructing existing facilities with the aim of increasing the use of renewable energy sources for heat generation, electric energy generation and for combined heat and electric generation.
Priority 4 - Improvement of waste management and rehabilitation of old ecological burdens
– focused on reducing specific waste production, increasing the utilization of waste for energy savings and rehabilitating serious old ecological burdens.
Priority 5 - Limitation of industrial pollution and environmental risks
– focused on reducing industrial pollution, reducing emissions and the transfer of substances and reducing the level of environmental contamination by chemicals.
Priority 6 - Improvement of the state of nature and landscape
– focused on supporting biodiversity, recovery of landscape structures, optimizing the landscape water regime, support for regenerating urbanized landscapes, preventing landslides and rock avalanches and assessing of non-renewable natural resources including groundwater resources.
Priority 7 - Development of infrastructure for environmental education, consultancy and awareness
– focused on supplying sophisticated infrastructure (material and technical background) for the realization of environmental education programmes, environmental consultancy and promoting environmental awareness.
Priority 8 – Technical Assistance
– It will support and ensure the implementation of the programme (administration, monitoring, communication activities and control).
Financial and Technical information
Operational Programme 'Environment'
Intervention TypeOperational Programme
Number of decisionC/2007/6793
Final approval date20/12/2007
Breakdown of finances by priority axis
|Priority Axis||EU Investment||National Public Contribution||Total Public Contribution|
|Improvement of water management infrastructure and reduction of flood risk||1 988 552 501||350 921 030||2 339 473 531|
|Improvement of air quality and reduction of emissions||634 146 020||111 908 121||746 054 141|
|Sustainable use of energy sources||672 971 287||118 759 639||791 730 926|
|Improvement of waste management and rehabilitation of old ecological burdens||776 505 331||137 030 353||913 535 684|
|Limitation of industrial pollution and environmental risks||60 605 709||10 695 125||71 300 834|
|Improvement of state of nature and landscape||599 423 825||105 780 675||705 204 500|
|Development of infrastructure for environmental education, consultancy and awareness raising||42 452 678||7 491 649||49 944 327|
|Technical Assistance||143 209 747||25 272 308||168 482 055|
|Total||4 917 867 098||867 858 900||5 785 725 998|