Operational programme 'Italy - France (Alps - ALCOTRA)'
Programme under the 'European Territorial Cooperation' objective, cofinanced by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
On 29 November 2007 the European Commission approved the operational programme for cross-border cooperation "Italy – France (Alps – ALCOTRA)” to receive Community assistance from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) under the European Territorial Cooperation objective in Italy and France.
The total cost of the programme is approximately 200 million euros. The maximum contribution from the ERDF to the operational programme is 150 million euros, which represents around 1.7% of EU contributions under the European Territorial Cooperation objective.
The "Italy - France (Alps - ALCOTRA)" programme is the fourth cooperation programme along the land border between Italy and France. It encompasses three Italian regions (Val d’Aoste, Piemonte and Liguria), two French regions (Rhône-Alpes and Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur) and the Principality of Monaco. Monaco will take part in the programme but will not receive any of the ERDF funding available under Article 21(3) of Regulation (EC) No 1080/2006 for non-EU countries.
1. Subject and purpose of the programme
The general purpose of the programme is to improve the quality of life of the people living in the area concerned and to promote the sustainable development of cross-border economic and territorial systems through cooperation in the social, economic, environmental and cultural fields.
In line with the overall objective and with the priorities laid down in the regulations, the programme's strategic objectives are:
- to encourage the competitiveness and the sustainable development of cross-border production systems by means of action in three sectors: production systems, the rural economy and tourism;
- to develop joint strategies for protecting and managing the biodiversity, the natural resources and the landscape of the cross-border area;
- to anticipate and manage natural and technological risks and to increase the effectiveness of emergency action;
- to make the area concerned more attractive by improving services and by strengthening the cross-border communities' identity in the fields of health, equal opportunities and the provision of – and access to – services for the local population (mobility and cultural, educational and work-related services);
- to assist the development of genuine cross-border cooperation by ensuring that the programme is managed comprehensively and that action taken under the programme is effective.
2. The expected impact of investments
The "France-Italy" territorial-cooperation programme shares many of the strategic priorities laid down in the regional programmes applicable to the area concerned. Its role in relation to those priorities will be to create synergies and to provide support by facilitating cross-border cooperation between businesses, administrative bodies and members of the public.
Furthermore, the Franco-Italian cross-border cooperation programme will facilitate student and worker exchanges and mobility and thus further the goals of increasing skills and job opportunities that bare inherent in the employment-promotion objective.
The operational programme is built around four priorities:
Priority 1: development and innovation [approximately 30.9 % of the total investment]
The purpose of this first priority is to encourage the competitiveness and the sustainable development of production systems through the sustainable growth of those systems, enhancing the value of local products and establishing sustainable tourist facilities.
Priority 2: environment and risk-prevention [approximately 30.9 % of the total investment]
The purpose of this second priority is to develop joint strategies for:
- protecting and managing the biodiversity, the natural resources and the landscapes of the cross-border area;
- managing natural and technological risks by means of better management of the area concerned and through the coordination and improvement both of mechanisms designed to prevent natural and technological risks and of emergency action.
Priority 3: quality of life [approximately 33.4 % of the total investment]
The purpose of this third priority is to increase the attractiveness of the area covered by the programme by improving services and strengthening the cross-border communities' identity, to be achieved by means of:
- improvements to the provision of health and social services;
- action to deal with problems relating to mobility and communication;
- the development and the diversification of cultural provision as a means of strengthening a common identity;
- better integration of the local population through mobility and by means of exchanges in the areas of education, training and employment.
Furthermore, a percentage of the programme budget is earmarked for technical assistance to enable the participating countries to implement the programme as effectively as possible.
Priority 4: technical assistance [approximately 4.7 % of the total investment]
The purpose of this priority is to increase the technical capabilities of the authorities responsible for the programme, so as to enable the phases of preparation, implementation, supervision, follow-up, evaluation, information and monitoring stages to be conducted efficiently.
Financial and Technical information
Operational programme 'Italy - France (Alps - ALCOTRA)'
Intervention TypeOperational Programme
Number of decisionC/2007/5716
Final approval date29/11/2007
Breakdown of finances by priority axis
|Priority Axis||EU Investment||National Public Contribution||Total Public Contribution|
|Development and innovation||45 654 640||16 040 820||61 695 460|
|Environment and risk-prevention||45 654 640||16 040 820||61 695 460|
|Quality of life||49 396 824||17 355 641||66 752 465|
|Technical assistance||8 981 241||458 501||9 439 742|
|Total||149 687 345||49 895 782||199 583 127|
Managing authorityRegione Piemonte Direzione A14 – Opere pubbliche, Difesa del suolo, Economia montana e foreste Corso Stati Uniti, 21 I- 10128 Torino
` Silvia Riva , Dottssa Tel. : +39 011432281 Fax. : +39 0114322941 E-mail. : silvia.riva@Regione.piemonte.it