Operational Programme 'Central Baltic'
Programme under the European Territorial Cooperation Objective, co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
On 21 December 2007, the European Commission approved the Cross-border Cooperation Operational Programme “Central Baltic Interreg IV A” for the period 2007-2013. This Programme involves Community support for certain regions of Estonia, Finland (incl. Åland), Latvia and Sweden under the European Territorial Cooperation Objective.
The total budget of the Programme is approximately €133 million and includes Community funding through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) of some €102 million. This represents approximately 1.2% of the total EU investment earmarked for the European Territorial Cooperation Objective under the Cohesion Policy 2007-2013.
1. The purpose and aim of the EU investmentThe Central Baltic Programme aims at creating a globally recognised, dynamic, sustainable and competitive region which is attractive for businesses and visitors and where people want to live, work and invest. The Programme will tap into the potential available for making the Central Baltic area a place for growth and innovation, working together for a better environment, optimising internal and external accessibility, investing in its residents' overall wellbeing and security, addressing new socio-economic challenges, facilitating cultural cooperation, and strengthening the area's common identity.
2. The expected impact of the investment
The following are some of the expected results of the Programme’s investments:
- raised environmental awareness through the participation of 250 men/women in education or information activities;
- increased cooperation concerning spatial planning and environmental management through 50 new environmental actions;
- reduced risk or effects of accidents in the Gulf of Finland through 5 actions;
- 10 000 people benefiting from improved sustainable infrastructure;
- 8000 people taking part in education or information activities;
- enhanced innovation and competitiveness through 75 new joint actions carried out by networks;
- improved internal and external accessibility through 5 small-scale investments totalling €2.5 million;
- 4 new or further developed methods for boosting employment.
3. Priority axes
Priority 1: Safe and Healthy Environment [approximately 27.1% of total funding]
This priority focuses on protecting and improving the common environment of the Central Baltic area and places special emphasis on protecting the Baltic Sea itself. It also focuses on supporting sustainable environmental development in the area.
Priority 2: Economically Competitive and Innovative Region [approximately 39.8% of total funding]
This priority focuses on enhancing the overall economic development and competitiveness of the area. Emphasis will be put on innovation, the development of connections to facilitate cross-border cooperation and better flows of goods and people, improvements in how the labour force is used and development of the tourism sector.
Priority 3: Attractive and Dynamic Societies [approximately 23.9% of total funding]
This priority addresses the health, wellbeing and security of the population as well as cooperation for strengthening cultural exchange and cohesion in the area covered. The aim is to create a region with equal opportunities for different groups of the population and support their active participation in society.
Priority 4: Technical Assistance [approximately 9.2% of total funding]
Technical assistance will be provided for implementation of the Programme. Financial support is also available and covers administration, monitoring, publicity and control.
Financial and Technical information
Operational Programme 'Central Baltic'
Intervention TypeOperational Programme
Number of decisionC/2007/6599
Final approval date21/12/2007
Breakdown of finances by priority axis
|Priority Axis||EU Investment||National Public Contribution||Total Public Contribution|
|Safe and Healthy||28 073 434||8 039 557||36 112 991|
|Economically Competitive and Innovative Region||42 418 602||10 601 600||53 020 203|
|Attractive and Dynamic Societies||25 556 234||6 387 100||31 943 334|
|Technical Assistance||6 130 741||6 130 741||12 261 482|
|Total||102 179 011||31 158 998||133 338 010|