Greece, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
'Greece - the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia' IPA Cross-border Co-operation Programme 2007-2013
‘Greece - the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia IPA Cross-border Programme 2007-2013’, receiving Community assistance from the cross-border co-operation component of the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA)
On 5 September 2008 the European Commission approved a Cross-border Co-operation Programme between Greece and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia for the period 2007-2013, which is adopted under and co-financed by the cross-border co-operation component of the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA). The Programme involves Community support for seven Greek and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia regions along the border of the two countries: regions Florina, Pella, Kilkis and Serres on the Greek side and Pelagonia, Vardar and Southeast from the side of the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. The Greek region of Thessaloniki and the Southeast region from the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia may take part in projects as an adjacent area, i.e. receiving a maximum 20% of the funding allocated to the programme.
The total budget of the Programme for the period 2007-2011 is approximately € 21.3 million, with Community assistance amounting to some €16.8 million. Community assistance is supplemented by about € 4.5 million of national funding from the two participating countries.
1. Purpose and aim of the programme
The Global Objective of the programme is to enhance convergence in the programme area by promoting sustainable local development. The Global Objective is addressing sustainability in its economical, social, cultural and environmental components, thus taking into account the need to specify and focus, on the one hand, on the socio-economic dimension and, on the other, on the undividable whole of nature and culture and their interactions in this programme area.
2. The expected impact of the investment
The Cross-border Co-operation Programme is expected to result in the enhanced co-operation among economic actors and stakeholders through common approaches for the support of local economic activities, the development of local human resources and the protection of human health as pillars for sustainable local economic development. The Cross-border Co-operation Programme devotes its resources also to the protection and promotion of the environmental and cultural potential in the programme area as a means for sustainable local development.
3. Priority axes
- Priority axis 1: Enhancement of Cross-border Economic Development [approximately 45% of total funding]
- This priority aims to promote sustainable economic development through common interventions, in addition to facilitating cross-border relations. The priority is implemented through four measures: promotion of entrepreneurship, the enhancement of Human Resources, the development of sustainable tourism and protection of public health through cross-border activities.
- Priority axis 2: Enhancement of environmental resources and the cultural heritage of the programme area [approximately 45% of total funding]
- The aim under this priority is to promote common actions for protecting the natural and cultural environment and the mobilisation of natural and cultural resources. The priority is implemented through two measures focusing on the promotion and protection of environmental resources and the natural and cultural heritage of the area.
- Priority axis 3: Technical Assistance [approximately 10% of total funding]
- The objective is to carry out specific actions to ensure successful implementation of the Programme.
- Ministry for Development, Competitiveness and Shipping
- Managing Authority of European Territorial Cooperation Programmes
- 65 Georgikis Scholis Ave
- EL-57001 Pylaia, Thessaloniki
- Thessaloniki, Greece
- Tel.: +30 2310 469620
- Fax.: +30 2310 469602
- E-mail.: email@example.com
- Web: www.interreg.gr
- Title : 'Greece - the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia' IPA Cross-border Co-operation Programme 2007-2013
- Intervention Type : Operational Programme
- CCI no : 2007CB16IPO009
- Number of decision : C(2008)4717
- Final approval date : 2008-09-05
- Breakdown of finances by priority axis
| Priority Axis
|| EU Investment
|| National Public Contribution
|| Total Public Contribution
| Enhancement of Cross-border Economic Development
6 727 076
1 827 433
8 554 509
| Enhance the environmental resources and cultural heritage of the programme area
8 408 850
2 284 290
10 693 140
| Technical Assistance
1 086 608
2 138 627
16 222 534
4 568 581
21 386 276