'Bulgaria-Turkey' IPA Cross-border Co-operation Programme 2007-2013
‘Bulgaria-Turkey IPA Cross-border Programme’, receiving Community assistance from the cross-border co-operation component of the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA)
On 20 December 2007 the European Commission approved a Cross-border Co-operation Programme between Bulgaria and Turkey for the period 2007-2013, which is adopted under and co-financed by the cross-border co-operation component of the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA). The programme involves Community support for five Bulgarian and Turkish regions that lie along their common border: the Bulgarian regions of Burgas, Yambol and Haskovo and Turkish regions Edirne and Kirklareli. Community funding for the programme over the period 2007-2011 is worth around €18.4 million, supplemented in turn by about €3.2 million of national funding from the two participating countries. The programme’s total value therefore is approximately €21.7 million.
1. Purpose and aim of the programme
The adopted programme follows on from an INTERREG Community Initiative for the period 2000-06. The Cross-border Co-operation Programme 2007-2013 builds upon and takes forward the strategy underpinning the ‘Joint Programming Document Bulgaria-Turkey 2004-2006’. Its overall strategic goal is to achieve balanced sustainable development that builds upon the key strengths of the cross-border co-operation area as a means of contributing to enhanced European co-operation.
This overall aim has been broken down into three specific objectives by the participating countries. These are:
- To boost sustainable economic development in the co-operation area and build on the comparative advantages;
- To improve overall social development and promote social cohesion among people and communities;
- To improve quality of life through the efficient use of shared natural resources as well as the protection of natural, cultural and historical heritage sites.
2. The expected impact of the investment
A series of indicators, applicable to each of the programme’s priorities, has been developed by the participating countries in order to allow progress to be evaluated over the course of the programme’s implementation. Results will be measured in terms of cross-border movements of people and goods, new social networks, new tourist destinations, a lowering of pollution levels, etc.
3. Priority axes
In order to achieve its specific and global objectives, the programme will work on two main thematic priorities, with a third priority dedicated to the management of the programme (technical assistance priority). The Bulgaria-Turkey IPA Cross-border Co-operation Programme 2007-13 is subdivided into the following priorities:
- Priority axis 1: Sustainable social and economic development [approximately 40% of total funding]
This first priority aims to increase the overall competitiveness of the cross-border economy and also improve social development and social cohesion. Areas of intervention other than social development and social cohesion (human resource development) involve boosting economic competitiveness (business development and entrepreneurship) and improving small-scale infrastructures.
- Priority axis 2: Improvement of the quality of life [approximately 50% of total funding]
This second priority is targeted at co-operation on the protection of nature and specific environmental fields, protection of the region’s historical and cultural heritage, and provision of assistance in emergency cases. Supported activities include the development of small-scale infrastructures and restorations of historical buildings, as well as capacity-building for sustainable use of the region’s natural resources and its cultural and historical heritage.
- Priority axis 3: Technical assistance [approximately 10% of total funding]
- Provision is also being made for technical assistance in order to implement the programme. Financial support is available covering administration, monitoring, evaluation and control.
- Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works
- DG Territorial Cooperation Management
- 17-19 Sv. Sv. Kiril I Metodi Str.
- BG-1202 Sofia
- Nikolay, Nankov
- E-mail.: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joint Technical Secretariat (JTS) - Haskovo, Bulgaria
- Tel.: +359 38 663 888
- Fax.: +359 38 663 888
- E-mail.: email@example.com
- JTS Branch Office - Edirne, Turkey
- Tel.: +90 284 213 18 53
- Fax.: +90 284 214 22 13
- E-mail.: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.ipacbc-bgtr.eu
- Title : 'Bulgaria-Turkey' IPA Cross-border Co-operation Programme 2007-2013
- Intervention Type : Operational Programme
- CCI no : 2007CB16IPO008
- Number of decision : C(2007)6477
- Final approval date : 2007-12-20
- Breakdown of finances by priority axis
| Priority Axis
|| EU Investment
|| National Public Contribution
|| Total Public Contribution
| Sustainable social and economic development
7 394 659
1 304 940
8 699 599
| Improvement of the quality of life
9 243 324
1 631 175
10 874 499
| Technical Assistance
1 848 665
2 174 900
18 486 648
3 262 350
21 748 998