'Greece-Albania' IPA Cross-border Co-operation Programme 2007-2013
‘Greece-Albania IPA Cross-border Programme 2007-2013’, receiving Community assistance from the cross-border co-operation component of the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA)
On 5 September 2008 the European Commission approved a Cross-border Co-operation Programme between Greece and Albania for the period 2007-2013, which is adopted under and co-financed by the cross-border co-operation component of the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA). The Programme involves Community support for eight Greek and Albanian regions that lie along their common border: the Greek regions of Kerkyra, Thesprotia, Ioannina, Kastoria and Florina and Albanian regions Vlorë, Gjirokastër and Korçë. The Greek region of Greneva may take part in projects as an adjacent area, i.e. receiving a maximum 20% of the funding allocated to the programme. The total budget of the Programme for the period 2007-2011 is approximately € 18.8 million, with Community assistance amounting to some € 15 million. Community assistance is supplemented by about € 3.8 million of national funding from the two participating countries.
1. Purpose and aim of the programme
The overall strategic goal of this Programme is to increase the standard of living of the population by promoting sustainable local development in the cross-border area. It mainly addresses sustainability in its economic, social and environmental components.
2. The expected impact of the investment
The Cross-border Co-operation Programme is expected to result in an increased standard of living among the population through sustainable local development in the cross-border area. This will be achieved by following two strategic priorities. - The second strategic priority should result in the environmental and cultural potential of the eligible border area being protected and promoted as a means for sustainable local development.
- The first should see enhanced co-operation among economic actors and stakeholders using common approaches, resulting in support for local economic activities and the development of local human resources reflecting the needs of the area.
3. Priority axes
The IPA Cross-border Programme is structured along the following priorities:
- Priority axis 1: Enhancement of Cross-border Economic Development [approximately 45% of total funding]
- This priority aims to promote sustainable economic development through common interventions, in addition to facilitating cross-border relations. The priority is implemented through four measures: promotion of entrepreneurship, development of tourism, promotion of people-to-people actions, and improvement of border accessibility.
- Priority axis 2: Promotion and Development of the Environment and Natural and Cultural Resources [approximately 45% of total funding]
- The aim under this priority is to promote common actions for protecting the environment, improving the natural and cultural heritage and facilitating sustainable development, all the while safeguarding the natural and cultural heritage from the impacts of economic development.
- Priority axis 3: Technical Assistance [approximately 10% of total funding]
The objective is to carry out specific actions to ensure successful implementation of the Programme.
- Ministry for Development, Competitiveness and Shipping
- Managing Authority of European Territorial Cooperation Programmes
- 65 Georgikis Scholis Ave
- EL-57001 Pylaia, Thessaloniki
- Thessaloniki, Greece
- Tel.: +30 2310 469620
- Fax.: +30 2310 469602
- E-mail.: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.interreg.gr
- Title : 'Greece-Albania' IPA Cross-border Co-operation Programme 2007-2013
- Intervention Type : Operational Programme
- CCI no : 2007CB16IPO010
- Number of decision : C(2008)4708
- Final approval date : 2008-09-20
- Breakdown of finances by priority axis
| Priority Axis
|| EU Investment
|| National Public Contribution
|| Total Public Contribution
| Enhancement of Cross-border Economic Development
6 754 433
1 733 444
8 487 877
| Promotion and Development of the Environment and Natural and Cultural Resources
6 754 433
1 733 444
8 487 877
| Technical Assistance
1 500 984
1 886 195
15 009 850
3 852 100
18 861 949