Inspiring non-EU countries
EU - Latin America
At the most recent Summits of Heads of State and Government, the European Union Member States and the Latin American countries committed themselves to reinforcing the existing strategic partnership between the European Union and Latin America.
DG REGIO have established regional policy dialogues with Brazil (2007), Argentina (2012), Chile (2010) and Peru (2013). At the last EU-Mexico Joint Committee (2013), both Parties agreed to establish a regional development policy dialogue. DG REGIO supports as well Central American Integration System (SICA) efforts in promoting cross-border cooperation as part of the regional integration process.
The different dialogues address, inter alia, exchanges of information and practices on policies aiming at economic, social and territorial cohesion; on setting up and implementing regional policy; on multi-level governance and partnership issues.
Principal among the fields of activity of EU regional policy that are of interest to Latin American countries, are cross-border cooperation and inter-regional cooperation, regional innovation and competitiveness and sustainable urban development.
- EU-Argentina cooperation on regional policy
- EU-Chile cooperation on regional policy
- EU-Peru cooperation on regional policy
- EULAC-RIS: EU-Latin America cooperation on regional innovation systems
- EULAC-CBC: EU-Latin America cooperation on cross-border cooperation
- URBELAC: URBan European and Latin American and Caribbean cities