Please note that due to limited capacities, participation at the Opening and Closing Sessions is upon personal invitation only.
Opening Session, 9 October 2006, 16:00-18:00, Royal Museum of Arts and History, Cinquantenaire Parc
How to better organise public and private partnerships?
The OPEN DAYS 2006 will formally be opened on Monday, 9 October 2006, between 16:00 and 18:00 by the President of the European Commission, José Manuel Barroso, Regional Policy Commissioner Danuta Hübner and the President of the Committee of the Regions, Michel Delebarre. A debate moderated by George Parker, Financial Times, will include Commissioner Hübner, the audience, and the following speakers:
- Hannes Manninen, Minister for Regional and Municipal Affairs representing the Finnish European Presidency
- Ivan Pilip , Vice-President of the European Investment Bank
- Philippe de Buck, Secretary-General of the Union of Industrial and Employers' Confederations of Europe ( UNICE)
- Professor Mario Monti, President of the Bocconi University Milan and Chairman of the European Citizen Action Service
The Opening Session will be followed by a reception and inauguration of the "Investors' Café" at 19:00. The "Investors’ Café" hosts an exhibition, seminars and a media platform during the event, and will be located in the building of the Committee of the Regions, Rrue Belliard 101.
Reception at the "Investors' Café": Monday, 9 October 2006, 19:00, Committee of the Regions, Rue Belliard 101.
Closing Session, 12 October, 14:30-17:00, European Parliament, Rue Wiertz 60
How to Make Europe's Regions and Cities More Attractive?
The Closing Session of the OPEN DAYS 2006 will be held on 12 October 2006 between 14:30 and 17:00 in the European Parliament. Under the chairmanship of the President of the European Parliament's Regional Development Commission, Gerardo Quecedo Galeote, a debate on the question "How to make Europe's regions and Cities more attractive?" will be moderated by Pierre Benazet, Radio France, and includes the following speakers:
- Craig R. Barret, Chairman of the Board of Intel Corporation
- Jacques Attali, economist, writer, President of PlaNet Finance,
- John Monks, Secretary-General of the European Trade Union Conferderation (ETUC)
- Danuta Hübner, European Commissioner for Regional Policy
- Michel Delebarre, President of the Committee of the Regions
- Vladimir Spidla, European Commissioner for Employment, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities