8. What happened to the old funds and programmes, such as EAGGF, FIFG, URBAN, INTERREG and ISPA? Are they still around in 2007-13?
- Interreg III has been incorporated into European Territorial Co-operation.
- The objectives of URBAN (urban development) and EQUAL (employment) are now covered by the “Convergence” and “Regional Competitiveness and Employment” objectives.
- Leader+ and the European Agricultural Guidance and Guarantee Fund (EAGGF) have been replaced by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD), while the Financial Instrument for Fisheries Guidance (FIFG) is now the European Fisheries Fund (EFF). In 2007-13, however, both the EAFRD and the EFF will operate independently from Cohesion Policy.
- The Pre-Accession Instrument (IPA) has now taken over from the various schemes covering Turkey and the Balkans, e.g. PHARE, ISPA, Sapard, CARDS, and the Financial Instrument for Turkey. In 2007-13, the regional development and cross-border cooperation strands of the IPA will act as forerunners to Cohesion Policy for countries that may be joining the EU.