The Interreg V - Amazonia cooperation programme for the period 2014-2020 focuses on cross-border and transnational cooperation between the outermost region of French Guiana, Suriname and the states of Amapá and Amazonas in Brazil.
This programme, supported by the ERDF, is an important tool for regional cooperation between French Guiana and its neighbouring countries in Amazonia. The programme consists of four strategic priorities (plus technical assistance for the implementation of the programme) in the fields of transport, the environment, health and the development of enterprises on the regional market.
- Improving the transport available within the cooperation area in order to increase mobility in this part of Amazonia, in particular through the establishment of a new, higher-capacity ferry on the Maroni river to provide a road link between French Guiana and Suriname.
- Protecting and enhancing the exceptional biodiversity and natural and cultural heritage through joint environmental preservation actions, in particular pilot schemes to restore biodiversity after mining operations, and specific actions to protect the flora, fauna and environments in shared or adjacent spaces.
- Tackling health and social issues by continuing scientific and health cooperation, particularly when it comes to the fight against HIV and vector-borne diseases like malaria and dengue fever, the development of remote medicine (telemedicine), the establishment of preventive health projects, shared education and exchanges of medical personnel.
- Developing trade in key sectors such as agri-food, renewable energies, information and communication technologies, ecotourism and projects to bring about better mutual knowledge of markets and of joint education for entrepreneurs.
- Doubling the number of passengers (currently nearly 12 000) and tripling the number of vehicles (currently 7 800) crossing the Maroni by ferry each year,
- Establishing international bus connections, in particular creating a link between Cayenne and Macapá in Brazil,
- Strengthening the fight against pollution at gold mining sites,
- Reducing the share of patients treated in improved health centres by 25%, especially in cross-border zones,
- Substantially increasing trade between French Guiana and the neighbouring territories.
- Regional Development Fund (ERDF): 18,899,049.00 €
- TA - Technical Assistance
- TO3 - SMEs competitiveness
- TO6 - Environment and resource efficiency
- TO7 - Transport and energy networks
- TO9 - Social inclusion
Total OP budget: 27,838,098.00 €
Total EU contribution: 18,899,049.00 €
CCI number: 2014TC16RFTN010
ESI Funds OPEN DATA
Achievements and FinancesAmazonia