Social Sciences & Humanities
As a cross-cutting issue of broad relevance, Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH) research is fully integrated into each of the general objectives of Horizon 2020. Embedding SSH research across Horizon 2020 is essential to maximise the returns to society from investment in science and technology.
Embedding means that SSH can make their contribution where they are most needed. Integrating the socio-economic dimension into the design, development and implementation of research itself, and of new technologies can help find solutions to societal issues.
Topics like competitiveness, climate change, energy security or public health are complex and multi-faceted and need to be thout across disciplines. Indeed, the idea to focus Horizon 2020 around "Challenges" rather than disciplinary fields of research illustrates this new approach. It represents a twin opportunity for the social sciences and humanities. Firstly, SSH research embedding throughout the whole programme will open up new areas of research; secondly, it will enhance top class research through the European Research Council.
Examples of the role of SSH are:
- Health, Demographic Change and Wellbeing , SSH research could provide the economic and social analysis necessary for reforming public health systems;
- Smart, green and integrated transport , SSH research analyses the socio-economic aspects of transport, prospective studies and technology foresight;
- Climate action and resource efficiency , SSH research tackles the cultural, behavioural, socio-economic and institutional change in order to move to a more self-reliant and resource efficient economy;
- Europe in a changing world , there will be a range of topics covering areas like new ideas, strategies and governance structures for overcoming the crisis in Europe, innovation in the public sector enabled by ICT, business model innovation, social innovation, European cultural heritage, history, culture and identity;
- Leadership in enabling and industrial technologies , the arts and humanities might be an essential source for creativity in development of services and product design.
Search for funding opportunities related to social sciences and humanities in the Participant Portal.
Source URL: http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/area/social-sciences-humanities