This online consultation took place between 12.05.2016 and 12.09.2016 in all EU languages. All citizens and organisations were welcome to respond.
The consultation dealt with six EU consumer and marketing directives covered by the ongoing Fitness Check:
- Unfair Contract Terms Directive 93/13/EEC;
- Consumer Sales and Guarantees Directive 1999/44/EC;
- Unfair Commercial Practices Directive 2005/29/EC;
- Price Indication Directive 98/6/EC;
- Misleading and Comparative Advertising Directive 2006/114/EC;
- Injunctions Directive 2009/22/EC.
In addition, it covered also the Consumer Rights Directive 2011/83/EU , which is subject to a separate evaluation.
The findings of the Fitness Check will provide basis for future policy initiatives in this area. The consultation therefore also included forward-looking questions on the potential areas to modernise the EU consumer and marketing rules.
The survey questionnaire consisted of short questionnaires for individual consumer and for individual companies and of a more comprehensive questionnaire for other respondents. This 'full' questionnaire was optional for individual consumers and individual companies. The European Commission is assessing the responses and will soon publish their summary.
For more information, visit the webpage of the Fitness Check.
Replies to the consultation (added on 17 January 2017)
- Summary of replies
- Replies from non-registered entities
- Policy papers submitted by public authorities and registered entities
- Policy papers from non-registered entities
The Commission is carrying out an in-depth analysis of the replies to the public consultation. The full results will feed into the Commission's final report on Fitness Check of Consumer and Marketing law.