Atlantic Forum workshop - Horta
Coastal and deep sea natural resources
Place: Sociedade Amore da Patria, Horta, Faial Island, Azores, Portugal
- Programme (PDF version) [413 KB] All available translations.
- Invitation letter [101 KB] All available translations.
- Practical information [84 KB] All available translations.
- Transfers and social programme - update [63 KB] All available translations.
- Marine Biotechnology: A New Vision and Strategy for Europe [8 MB] All available translations.
- Assistance in elaboration and prospective evaluation of the Atlantic Action Plan. Draft thematic report "Coastal and deep sea natural resources" [2 MB] All available translations.
- Marine-related proposals 2007-2010 [787 KB] All available translations.
- The presentations are available on the Maritime Forum website
- Video with the presentations
|Friday 21 September|
|08:00-09:00||Registration of participants|
Opening Plenary Session
Mr Manuel Pinto de Abreu, State Secretary of the Sea, Portugal
|09:30-11.00||Theme 1 - Coastal and Deep Sea Natural Resources knowledge|
Rapporteur: Dr. Nuno Lourenço, (Portuguese Institute for Ocean and Atmosphere)
|Theme 1 Discussion with all participants|
|Parallel Session A||
Theme 2 – Mineral resources – Exploration and Exploitation
Rapporteur: Sven Petersen (Leibniz - Institute for Marine Sciences IFM – GEOMAR)
|Theme 2 Discussion with all participants|
|Parallel Session B||Theme 3 - Bio Resources – Exploration and Exploitation|
Rapporteur: Helder Silva, (University of Azores)
|Theme 3 Discussion with all participants|
|Parallel Session C||
Theme 4 - Research and Technology
Rapporteur: Koen Verbruggen (Geological Survey of Ireland)
|Theme 4 Discussion with all participants|
|Parallel Session D||Theme 5 - Access and Preservation|
Rapporteur: Ramon van Barneveld, European Commission
|Theme 5 Discussion with all participants|
|15:45-16:30||Parallel Sessions' Wrap-up
Rapporteurs 2, 3, 4, 5
|16:30-17:30||Theme 6 - Support to innovation and Entrepreneurship (Info Desk open throughout the event)|
Rapporteur: Mario Aymerich (European Investment Bank)
Theme 6 Discussion with all participants
Mr João Fonseca Ribeiro – Director-General for Maritime Policy in Portugal
Presentation - IE-UK under-water - Marine expedition to Moytirra
Maritime surveillance: Joining forces with Member States for safer seas and oceans
The European Commission today took a further step towards more effective and cost-efficient surveillance of European Seas. By bringing together surveillance data from civil and military authorities like coast guards, navies, traffic monitoring, environmental and pollution monitoring, fisheries and border control, duplication of work can be avoided and savings of up to €400 million per year can be made.
- 08/07/2014 - Questions and answers on the Common Information Sharing Environment (CISE) and its contribution to maritime security
Call for experts: structured dialogue under ESI Funds (deadline 05/08)
The European Commission is looking for organisations to join the recently established structured dialogue group of experts on the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF). Among others areas, this is particularly relevant for the Common Fisheries Policy and the Integrated Maritime Policy, through the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF).