Sea basin strategy: Adriatic and Ionian Seas
- Please select a sea basin
- Adriatic and Ionian Seas
- Atlantic Ocean
- Arctic Ocean
- Baltic Sea
- Black Sea
- Mediterranean Sea
- North Sea
The maritime strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian SeasAll available translations. (2012) assesses the needs and potential of sea-related activities and sets out a framework for coordinated efforts by all maritime stakeholders aiming at:
- a thriving maritime economy that provides growth and job opportunities;
- a healthier marine environment;
- a safer and more secure maritime space;
- sustainable and more responsible fisheries activities.
These objectives constitute the four priority areas of the strategy, around which the proposed actions and projects/initiatives are grouped.
International conference: "Setting an Agenda for Smart, Sustainable and Inclusive Growth from the Adriatic and Ionian Seas" (Zagreb, Croatia, 6 December 2012)
This stakeholder conference organized by the Croatian Ministry of Maritime Affairs, Transport and Infrastructure and the EU Commission, in collaboration with all Adriatic and Ionian countries, marked the launch of the maritime strategy. The conference discussed the findings of three 2012 stakeholder workshops (1: Athens 2: Trieste and 3: Portoroz).
The conference conclusions [31 KB] All available translations. confirmed broad support for the direction taken by the 2012 maritime strategy and laid the foundation for the work on an action plan. Nevertheless, they also showed the need for a wider macro-regional strategy.
Next step: A macro-regional strategy by 2014
The objectives of the 2012 maritime strategy will be embedded in a broader Adriatic and Ionian macro-regional strategy. The proposed overall objective of the new macro-regional strategy (EU Strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian Region - EUSAIR) is to promote the economic and social prosperity of the region by improving its attractiveness, competitiveness and connectivity.
The future strategy shall focus on:
- innovative maritime and marine growth
- accessibility and connection of the region
- preserving, protecting and improving the quality of the environment
- regional attractiveness (by supporting the sustainable development of coastal, inland and maritime tourism).
Research, innovation and small-and-medium-size enterprises (SME) development and "Capacity building" will be treated as cross-cutting issues.
- Commission communication "A Maritime Strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian Seas"
- EU Commission Regional Policy site: Adriatic and Ionian Region
- All news (press releases, speeches, etc.)
- Studies funded or co-funded by the Commission
- Recommended links
- Video: Commissioner Damanaki supports maritime strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian Seas, Trieste, 12-13 June 2012
Consultation on the EU Strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian Region (EUSAIR)
The Directorate General for Regional and Urban Policy has launched a public consultation on the EU Strategy for the Adriatic and Ionian region, inviting all those interested, e.g. private individuals, public organisations, enterprises, civil society, etc. to send their contributions.
Commission proposes fishing opportunities for the Black Sea for 2014
The European Commission has presented its proposal for fishing opportunities for fish stocks in the Black Sea for 2014.
Lisbon Atlantic Conference 2013
The conference, under the theme “Atlantic´s Blue Growth”, is being organised by the Portuguese Ministry of Agriculture and Sea, in partnership with the Mayor of Lisbon, and will take place on the 4th and 5th of December.