What is it?
Our seas and oceans offer a vast renewable energy resource, particularly, but not only, along the Atlantic seaboard. Ocean energy technologies are currently being developed to exploit the potential of tides and waves as well as differences in temperature and salinity.
Why EU-level action?
The development of this emerging sector would not only help us to achieve our renewable energy and greenhouse gas reduction targets, but it could fuel economic growth through innovation and create new, high-quality jobs.
The EU already supports technology development through its research programme. In its Blue Growth communication of September 2012, the Commission announced that it would assess further options and deliver a proposal for action in 2013.
Ocean energy forum
The European Commission has developed a two-step action plan to support this emerging sector. In the first phase (2014 – 2016), a secretariat and ocean energy forum have been set up.
- Communication from the Commission: Blue Energy - Action needed to deliver on the potential of ocean energy in European seas and oceans by 2020 and beyond
- Executive summary of the impact assessment [64 KB] All available translations.
- Impact assessment [3 MB] All available translations.
- Communication from the Commission: Blue Growth opportunities for marine and maritime sustainable growth [85 KB] All available translations.
- Ocean wave energy: Technology Information Sheet
- EU ocean energy research agenda
- Ocean energy e-learning tool
- Public consultation on ocean energy
- All news (press releases, speeches, etc)
- Commission sets out an action plan to support the development of blue energy (20/01/2014)
- Questions and Answers on an action plan to support the development of blue energy (20/01/2014)
- Links to EU and international organisations
- 19/07/2016 - Enjoy sustainable seafood during your holidays
Commissioner Vella: Let's turn renewable ocean energy into a European success
The European Commission is looking to turn emerging ocean energy technologies like tidal and wave power into "another European success story", replicating the spectacular uptake of offshore wind, Commissioner Karmenu Vella has said. The Commissioner was speaking at the third annual Offshore Energy and Storage conference in Malta.
- 12/07/2016 - Blue Economy Business Awards 2016 - only 4 days left to apply