The Conference "Blue Invest – EU Support to Maritime Regions" took place in Brussels on 22 September 2015. It was organized by the European Commission in collaboration with the CPMR. With the participation of over 170 representatives of EU coastal regions, blue growth stakeholders, EU institutions and the press, the conference highlighted financing opportunities in support of local maritime projects.
Increased investment in the blue economy will support economic, social and territorial cohesion and help bring jobs and growth to maritime regions. Many maritime regions are already using Smart Specialization Strategies to identify EU funding priorities including Blue Growth.
Several speakers presented examples of how the ESIF, Horizon 2020, and other EU funds can work together with the EIB and the private sector to provide investment for jobs and growth in the blue economy. Participants also shared examples of successful EU-funded projects in different sectors such as renewable energy, aquaculture, biotechnology, and skills and qualifications.
The Commission encouraged the member states and the coastal regions to make best use of available funding instruments, including EU funds, to give the blue economy a boost.
In his closing speech, DG MARE Director General Mr Aguiar Machado expressed the need to better communicate and coordinate with other Commission departments to ensure that member states take this opportunity and that all EU funds contribute to the development of the blue economy. The Commission will promote and encourage the organisation of seminars to promote the exchange of good practice and innovative ideas for the future.
List of participants [583 KB]
Moderator: Eleni MARIANOU, CPMR Secretary General
- Commissioner Karmenu VELLA
- CPMR President Vasco CORDEIRO [320 KB] All available translations.
- MEP Gesine MEISSNER, Chair of the EP Intergroup “Seas, islands, rivers and coastal areas”
- Mario AYMERICH [884 KB] All available translations., Managerial Advisor, Environment and Regional Development Department, European Investment Bank
MARITIME INVESTMENTS AND SKILLS AS A CROSS-CUTTING PRIORITY
This session focused on blue growth as a cross-cutting priority in smart-specialization strategies and operational programmes for the 2014-2020 programming period, on the basis of analysis developed so far by the European Commission and the CPMR, and of examples of regional strategies covering a wide range of maritime topics. The development of skills and qualifications as a key priority for the development of the blue economy will in particular be highlighted.
Moderator: Colin WOLFE, Head of Unit, Competence Centre, Smart and Sustainable Growth, DG REGIO
- Damien PERISSE [414 KB] All available translations., CPMR Director for maritime affairs
- Pierre KARLESKIND [227 KB] All available translations., Vice-President of the Regional Council in charge of European Affairs , the Sea and Coastal Regions, Brittany
- Drew RATTER [182 KB] All available translations., Councillor, Shetland Islands Council
- Kerstin BRUNNSTRÖM, Regional councillor, Västra-Götaland - speech [39 KB] All available translations., presentation [2 MB] All available translations.
TAPPING INTO BLUE GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES: MARINE RENEWABLE ENERGY AND MARITIME INDUSTRIES
This session focused on regional strategies and initiatives supported by the ERDF , in the areas of maritime renewable energies, including synergies with other maritime industrial sectors such as shipbuilding.
Moderator: Alain ALEXIS, Head of Unit, Defence, Aeronautic and Maritime Industries, DG GROW.
- Caroline PRIVAT [597 KB] All available translations., Bremen Ministry for Economy, Labor and Ports
- Christophe CLERGEAU [253 KB] All available translations., First Vice-President of the Regional Council, Pays de la Loire
- Tiina PERHO, Member of Managing Board, Regional Council of Southwest Finland
- Marc PONS I PONS [349 KB] All available translations., Regional Minister of Presidency (Government of the Balearic Islands)
BOOSTING BLUE GROWTH: MARINE LIVING RESOURCES
The reformed CFP has led to new opportunities to add value to seafood products. This session will focus on regional strategies and initiatives supported by the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF) and other ESIFs to generate growth and jobs in aquaculture and biotechnology.
Moderator: Matthew King, Head of unit, DG MARE
- Eoin MAC AOIDH [341 KB] All available translations., DG MARE, Common Fisheries Policy and Aquaculture
- Rosa María QUINTANA CARBALLO [931 KB] All available translations., Regional Councillor in charge of the Sea and of Rural Policy, Xunta de Galicia
- Manuela BORA [723 KB] All available translations., Regional Councillor, Marche
- Sieglinde GRUBER [442 KB] All available translations., Head of Unit, Marine Resources, DG RTD
- George ALEXAKIS [557 KB] All available translations., Regional Councillor of Crete, Vice-President of the CPMR in charge of maritime affairs
- João AGUIAR MACHADO [97 KB] All available translations., Director General, DG MARE
Call for proposals in the field of Blue Economy
Newly adopted UN Sustainable Development Goals include goal on oceans
Today, the United Nations is set to adopt the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, setting out a global framework to eradicate poverty and achieve sustainable development by 2030. The 17 Sustainable Development Goals also include a goal to "Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources."
SAVE THE DATE! Conference on maritime spatial planning and marine environment on 7 December 2015
The European Commission is organising a conference on maritime spatial planning (MSP) as a tool to address challenges and develop opportunities in maritime economic activities and environmental protection, in the context of growing and competing uses of marine space.
Conference "Blue Invest EU Support to Maritime Regions", 22 September 2015
The speeches and presentations are now on-line.