Related projects and other atlases
Ocean, sea and coastal atlases use different ways to show all aspects of the oceans and seas, from geographical features to political, economic, social and environmental ones. There are many related projects going on in Europe and in the world, some focusing on the collection of data, others on disseminating the information; some designed for experts, others for the broad public.
Please note that most of the links provided below go to external sites over which the Commission services have no control and for which the Commission assumes no responsibility. If you wish to suggest adding a link, send us a mail.
- The European Spatial Planning Observation Network (ESPON) is mainly concerned with territorial development. It was set up to support policy development and build a European scientific community around this topic.
- The Water Information System for Europe (WISE) gives access to data and information related to water, collected at EU level by various institutions and bodies.
- The Environmental Marine Information System (EMIS) provides information on various environmental variables and indicators, through an embedded geographic information system.
- The European Marine Observation and Data Network (EMODNET) aims to improve availability of high quality data, by building a European marine knowledge infrastructure
- INSPIRE is establishing an infrastructure for spatial information in Europe to support Community environmental policies, and policies or activities which may have an impact on the environment.
- Eye on Earth includes information on the water and air quality throughout Europe. It is the result of a partnership between Microsoft and the European Environment Agency (EEA).
- International Coastal Atlas Network (ICAN)
- United Nations Atlas of the Oceans
- Google map
- Google Earth-Ocean
EU coastal and maritime atlases
- Baltic Sea - HELCOM Map and Data Service
- Belgium – Kustatlas
- Black Sea - International Centre for Black Sea Studies (ICBSS)
- Channel - Cross Channel Atlas Transmanche
- Germany - GeoSeaPortal
- Ireland – Marine Irish Digital Atlas (MIDA)
- Italy – Venice – Atlas of the lagoon
- Spain - Atlas Nacional de España
- The Netherlands - Noordzeeatlas
- UK – Coastal and Marine Resource Atlas