Media Seminars - Stopping discrimination against Roma
The European Commission, Directorate General for Justice and Consumers hosted a series of media seminar to bring together journalists, local authorities and representatives of Roma communities. The seminars helped to challenge the stereotypes widely used about Roma in the media by building closer communication between reporters, communities, local authorities and local organisations.
The Media Seminars were the first to be carried out by the European Commission bringing international and local journalists together with members of the Roma community across eight countries.
The eight seminars took place between February and June 2016:
- Bucharest, Romania 15-16 February 2016
- Budapest, Hungary 18-19 February 2016
- Sofia, Bulgaria: 11-12 April 2016
- Strasbourg, France: 26-27 April 2016
- Brno, Czech Republic: 10-11 May 2016
- Košice, Slovakia: 23-24 May 2016
- Berlin, Germany: 6-7 June 2016
- Rome, Italy, 27-28 June 2016
Want to find out more?
- Follow the hashtag #forRomawithRoma on Twitter;
- Watch the interview with Lina Papamichalopoulou, Head of Roma coordination in the European Commission;
- See what blogger Marius Malinescu and journalist Silvia Vranceanu took away from the seminar in Bucharest;