EU Data Protection Day 2011
Joint high-level meeting on data protection: "Data protection (30 years later) - from European to international standards"
On 28 January 2011, the Commission, the Council of Europe and its member states celebrated the fifth Data Protection Day.
Data protection issues, including their cross-border dimension, are ever-present in individuals' lives:
- at work;
- in their relations with public authorities;
- in the health field;
- when buying goods or services;
- when travelling or while surfing the internet.
Nevertheless, many individuals are unfamiliar with data protection issues and unaware of their rights in this respect. Moreover, data protection does not usually feature on the curricula of schools and universities.
To mark Data Protection Day 2011, events were organised not only in Europe, but all over the world to raise awareness about data protection and also inform citizens of their rights and good practices, thereby enabling them to exercise these rights more effectively.
This special day presents an opportunity for individuals to become more aware of personal data protection and what their rights and responsibilities are in this respect.
Speeches and presentations
- Video clip from the Council of Europe
- Welcome address by Mr Thorbjørn Jagland , Secretary General of the Council of Europe
- Video message by Ms Viviane Reding , Vice-President of the Commission (video script )
- Speech by Ms Francoise Le Bail , Director General, DG Justice, Commission
- Video clip from the Commission
Panel 1: New European Rules on Data Protection?
- Mr Jean-Philippe Walter , Chair of the Consultative Committee of Convention 108, Council of Europe
- Mr Peter Hustinx , European Data Protection Supervisor
Mr Jacob Kohnstamm , Chairman of the Article 29 Working Party
Panel 2: From European to International Standards on Data Protection
- Ms Jennifer Stoddart , Privacy Commissioner, Canada
- Mr Mouhamadou Lo , Economic Community of West African States, Personal Data Commission of Senegal
- Ms María Elena Pérez-Jaén Zermeño, Commissioner, Federal Institute for Access to Information and Data Protection (IFAI) of Mexico (speech ) Presentation
- Mr Marc Rotenberg, Executive Director, Electronic Privacy Information