EU Data Protection Day 2010
The protection of personal data is a fundamental right within the EU. "Everyone has the right to the protection of personal data concerning him or her" - says the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.
The Commission and the member states of the Council of Europe celebrated Data Protection Day for the fourth time on 28 January 2010.
This date marks the anniversary of the Council of Europe's Convention 108, the first legally binding international instrument related to data protection.
It represents an opportunity for European citizens to become more aware of personal data protection and of what their rights and responsibilities are in this respect.
For more information, please consult:
Closed Workshop on the theme "How are data subjects informed about the processing of their data and the exercise of their rights? More specifically, speeches will address the following topics: information and rights of data subject in the medical sector; how can data subjects be the primary actors in defending their own privacy; privacy and data protection in the workplace; the practice of the European Commission concerning information and rights of data subjects; data protection and privacy rights in the electronic communications sector.
Speeches and presentations:
- "How can data subjects be the primary actors in defending their own privacy? ", Aurel CIOBANU-DORDEA, Director, DG JLS, Commission
- "Privacy and data protection in the workplace ", Peter HUSTINX, EDPS
- "Information and the rights of data subjects: the practice of the European Commission ", Philippe RENAUDIERE, DPO, Commission
- "Data protection and privacy rights in the electronic communications sector ", Achim KLABUNDE, DG INFSO, Commission
Information stands with documentation on data protection:
- In Berlaymont on the ground floor (27-28/01/2010)
- In Charlemange on the ground floor (28/01/2010)