Build a European area of justice.
In a Europe of open borders, more and more people live, work and do business in other EU countries. The European Commission wants to make life easier for them by building an EU-wide area of justice. The aim is to offer practical solutions to cross-border problems, so that citizens feel at ease when moving around the EU and businesses can make full use of the Single Market.
What will it mean for me?
- Respect for your fundamental rights by the EU, and by member states at national level;
- Equal treatment on the basis of sex, race or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age and sexual orientation;
- Protection for your personal data anywhere in the EU;
- Access to justice in case of legal difficulties anywhere in the EU:
- protection and support if you fall victim to crime
- a fair trial if you are accused of a crime
- resolution of civil matters like divorce, family maintenance, property and inheritance in cross-border situations
For full details of the policies and activities which are building the European area of justice, select the "all topics" button at the top of this page.