European Network of legal experts in gender equality and non-discrimination
Since 1984, the Commission has been assisted by the European Network of Legal Experts in the field of Gender Equality in order to help monitor the implementation of the EU acquis related to the principle of equal treatment between women and men in the EU countries and to develop new legal initiatives in this specific fiel
In 2015 the network was merged with the Network of legal experts in the non-discrimination field forming one single European network of legal experts in gender equality and non-discrimination.
The new network ensures that the European Commission is kept informed in relation to important legal developments in both the fields of gender equality and non-discrimination at national level and as to the impacts of those developments.
This network comprises national experts from 35 countries (the EU Member States, Turkey, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) in the fields of gender equality and non-discrimination and an executive committee.
It provides independent advice, analysis and information on:
- the transposition at national (and, where applicable, at federal and/or sub-national) level of the gender equality and non-discrimination Directives as well as the constant monitoring of compliance with these Directives;
- the practical implementation and application of national legislation transposing the Directives;
- national initiatives in the fields of gender equality and non-discrimination legislation and related political developments (such as the discussion of proposals to introduce new legislation or to amend existing laws);
- the impact of national court rulings;
- the impact of judgements of the Court of Justice of the European Union on national law and, where appropriate, of the judgements of the European Court of Human Rights; and
- policy developments at EU level.
Publications and reports
Finally, it assists in the dissemination of information in relation to developments in this area at EU and national levels through its