Funding awareness-raising of gender based violence and civil society organisations
Awareness-raising activities are crucial in spreading the clear and unequivocal message of zero tolerance of all forms of violence against women and girls, informing victims of their rights and providing information on support services.
The European Commission also recognises that non-governmental organisations are well-placed to develop grass-roots initiatives to prevent violence and support victims.
What is the EU doing?
- Provides funding for national ministries' awareness-raising and communication activities on violence against women;
- Supports grass-roots organisations and civil society networks to prevent violence against women;
- Organises exchanges between national governments and NGOs running projects on violence against women.
How to get funding?
As of 2014, the Commission is running calls for proposals and calls for tenders under the following programmes:
- Rights, Equality and Citizenship Programme: funds NGOs, governments and networks tackling violence against women;
- Justice Programme: funds organisations that improve victims' access to justice and the correct implementation of relevant EU legislation on protection orders.
Film on the role of health professionals in responding to violence against women
This film was created as part of a project by the French Ministry of Social Affairs, Health and Women's Rights, entitled "Former et informer sur les violences au sein du couple et les mutilations sexuelles féminines (Training and information on intimate partner violence and female genital mutilation)", funded under the European Commission Progress Programme. The project aims to strengthen the training of medical students and health professionals in preventing intimate partner violence, as well as to develop an information and awareness-raising campaign on recent legal developments in the areas of intimate partner violence and female genital mutilation.