Integrating pay equity into collective agreements and workplace policies
- The role of collective agreements
- Tools to identify the gender pay gap in the workplace
- Integrating pay equity into collective agreements and workplace policies
- Civil society actions to close the gender pay gap
This section gives some pointers of the types of issues to include in collective agreements and workplace policies on equal pay.
Checklist for employers and unions involved in collective bargaining
- Check that there are no discriminatory clauses that disadvantage women, for example, based on assumptions about the value of the skills held by women.
- Check if monetary or non-monetary benefits favour male dominated jobs or discriminate against women, for example, bonuses, non-monetary payments, pay increments, criteria for performance related pay etc.
- Monitor and check that all benefits are paid to male and female staff equally.
- Take account of the under-valuing of women’s work and the impact that this has on their pay, particularly in sectors of the economy that are female dominated.
- Establish a principle that the valuing and re-valuing of jobs is necessary when determining pay and classification of jobs. This can be done through carrying out a job evaluation exercise free from gender bias using the following criteria: skill, effort, responsibility and working conditions.
- Argue for systems to be put in place for job evaluation and data collection that are free from gender bias. Raise these issues during the negotiations.
- Promote women’s participation on collective bargaining negotiating teams.
- Check if particular groups of workers are discriminated against in their pay, for example, part-time or temporary/contract workers.
- Make sure that representatives from employers and unions on negotiating teams receive training and guidance in equality.
- Ensure that there is an ongoing collection of statistics and monitoring of the progress towards equal pay and the removal of discriminatory pay systems.
- Put in place a company policy on equal pay that takes account of all of these factors.
Please find here all the documents related to the gender pay gap.