Roma integration by EU country
As in other EU countries, Portugal’s structural funds are dedicated to all disadvantaged people, including the Roma.
Portugal's funding at a glance
Over the 2007-2013 funding period, Portugal was allocated €21.5 billion under the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), the Cohesion Fund and European Social Fund (ESF), and a further €3.9 billion through the Rural Development Fund. These funds support a wide range of sectoral investments, including those that concern the Roma, such as financial help for housing and school infrastructures. Portugal allocated 6% (€381 million) of its ESF funds towards integrating disadvantaged people.
For the 2014-2020 period, Portugal will receive a total of €25.23 billion in EU funds (at current prices), out of which €18.5 billion will come from ESF and the ERDF. At least 38.5% of this amount will be spent on the ESF, with at least 20% of that going towards promoting social inclusion and combating poverty. The latter amount could also finance Roma-related measures.
ESF managing authority
European Social Fund Management Institute, Instituto de Gestao do Fundo Social Europeu, Rua Castilho, 5, 6°/7°/8° andares, P-1250-066 Lisboa
Relevant ERDF managing authorities
- Inspecção-Geral de Finanças (OP Territorial Enhancement),Rua Angelina Vidal 41, P-1199-005 Lisboa
- Instituto Financeiro para o Desenvolvimento Regional (OP Territorial Enhancement, OP Technical Assistance), R. São Julião 63, P-1149-030 Lisboa
- Programa Operacional Factores de Competitividade (OP Thematic Factors of Competitiveness), Comissão Directiva, Rua Rodrigues Sampaio 13, P-1169-028 Lisboa
- Programa Operacional Regional da Madeira (OP Madeira), Instituto de Desenvolvimento Regional, Travessa do Cabido, 16, -9000-715 Funchal
- Comissão de Coordenação e Desenvolvimento Regional de Lisboa e Vale do Tejo OP Lisbon), Rua Artilharia Um, 33, P-1269-145 Lisboa
- Comissão de Coordenação e Desenvolvimento Regional do Alentejo Avenida Engenheiro Arantes e Oliveira (OP Alentejo), n.°193, P-7004-514 Évora
- Comissão de Coordenação e Desenvolvimento Regional do Algarve (OP Algarve), Praça da Liberdade 2, P-8000-164 Faro
- Comissão de Coordenação e Desenvolvimento Regional do Centro (OP Centro), Rua Bernardim Ribeiro, 80, P-3000-069 Coimbra
- Comissão de Coordenação e Desenvolvimento Regional do Norte, (OP Norte), Rua Raínha D. Estefânia, 251, P-4150-304 Porto
- Programa Operacional Temático Valorização do Território (OP Territorial Enhancement), Avenida D. João II, Lote 1.07.2.1 - 2 º, P-1998-014 Lisboa
- Direcção Regional do Planeamento e Fundos Estruturais – DRPFE (OP Azores), Caminho do Meio, 58 - S. Carlos, P-9701-853 Angra do Heroísmo
More info on Portugal's Operational Programmes.
A layman’s guide to EU funding
FAQ: Does the EU earmark funds for Roma integration?
No, EU funds are not earmarked for specific groups of people. They support projects in such areas as education, employment, training and social infrastructure.
FAQ: What kind of support do EU funds provide?
EU funds can finance investment in education, training or infrastructure, for example.
FAQ: How are the Funds allocated?
See EU Funding.
FAQ: Who should I contact to obtain EU funding for a project in my country?
EU funding is mainly channelled via national or regional managing authorities. Contact details can be found at the European Social Fund or at the Regional Development Fund.
FAQ: Can I obtain funding for a new project in 2014?
Information about funding opportunities can be obtained by contacting the managing authorities (see above).