Roma integration by EU country
As in other EU countries, the Netherlands’ structural funds are dedicated to all disadvantaged people, including the Roma.
The Netherlands' funding at a glance
Over the 2007-2013 funding period, the Netherlands was allocated €1.9 billion under the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), and the European Social Fund (ESF), and a further €486 million through the Rural Development Fund. These funds support a wide range of sectoral investments, including those that concern the Roma, such as financial help for housing and school infrastructures. The Netherlands allocated over 24% (€202 million) of its total ESF budget towards integrating vulnerable people.
For the 2014-2020 period, the Netherlands will receive a total of €1.3 billion in EU Cohesion funds (at current prices), out of which €1 billion will come from the ESF and the ERDF. Of this amount, at least half will be spent on the ESF, with at least 70% of that going towards promoting social inclusion and combating poverty. The latter could also finance Roma-related measures.
- Communication in 2015 on the implementation of the EU Framework for National Roma Integration Strategies
ESF managing authority
Relevant ERDF managing authorities
- College van B&W Gemeente Rotterdam (OP West Netherlands), Postbus 70012, NL-3000 KP Rotterdam
- Provincie Gelderland, Europees Programmasecretariaat - Afdeling Subsidieverlening (OP East Netherlands),Postbus 9090, NL-6800 GX Arnhem
- Provincie Noord-Brabant (OP South Netherlands), Postbus 90151, NL-5200 MC 's-Hertogenbosch
- Samenwerkingsverband Noord-Nederland (SNN) (OP North Netherlands), Postbus 779, NL-9700 AT Groningen
- More information on The Netherlands' Operational Programmes: ESF OPs and ERDF OPs.
A layman’s guide to EU funding
FAQ: Does the EU earmark funds for Roma integration?
No, EU funds are not earmarked for specific groups of people. They support projects in such areas as education, employment, training and social infrastructure.
FAQ: What kind of support do EU funds provide?
EU funds can finance investment in education, training or infrastructure, for example.
FAQ: How are the Funds allocated?
See EU Funding.
FAQ: Who should I contact to obtain EU funding for a project in my country?
EU funding is mainly channelled via national or regional managing authorities. The Netherlands’ contact details can be found at the European Social Fund or at the Regional Development Fund.
FAQ: Can I obtain funding for a new project in 2014?
Information about funding opportunities can be obtained by contacting the managing authorities (see above).