The Commission organises, jointly with the Social Platform, bi-annual meetings where non-governmental organisations (NGOs) are invited to discuss current Community matters, e.g. legislative and policy proposals.
The Commission organises ad hoc meetings if required.
Under the PROGRESS programme the EC funds European umbrella NGO networks:
Representing and defending the rights of people exposed to discrimination
- AGE Platform Europe
- European Network Against Racism (ENAR)
- European Disability Forum (EDF)
- International Lesbian and Gay Association - Europe (ILGA)
- European Roma Information Office (ERIO)
Promoting social inclusion of vulnerable groups
- Caritas Europa
- European Confederation of Workers' Cooperatives, Social Cooperatives and Social and Participative Enterprises (CECOP)
- Confederation of family organisations in the European Union (COFACE)
- European Anti Poverty Network (EAPN)
- European Foundation for Street Children (EFSC)
- European Microfinance Network (EMN)
- European Social Network (ESN)
- Pour la Solidarité (PLS)
- European Federation of National Organisations working with the Homeless (FEANTSA)
- Mental health Europe (MHE)
Promoting gender equality
The Commission also financially supports smaller networks on the social integration of disabled people.